Re: Feels hard to breathe

Artisticchyck
on 6/27/08 11:52 am - Marysville, WA
Lap Band on 06/23/08 with
Hi Everyone, I am back from Dr. Joya after being banded on June 23.  My question is this:  I feel alot of pressure in my chest, which I know is from the gas.  However, even walking outside in PV caused me to lose my breath and I had to stay indoors all the time and walk around my room.  I figured it was from the humidity.  On the plane, I spent alot of time in the bathroom standing, adjusting my bra, because I felt like I could not breath again.  I almost asked for oxygen it felt that bad.  Now I am at home and I am experiencing some of the same problems, where it feels like I can't breath, especially after I drink, but not always.  Did anyone else encounter this? 
Starting Over
on 6/27/08 12:38 pm
I'm not sure the specifics of the band, but do you, or did you have a JP drain? I did after my RNY and this is the most common source of the feeling that you're describing.
Artisticchyck
on 6/27/08 1:51 pm - Marysville, WA
Nope there is no drain involved.  They just make three incisions for the ports to do it lapro, and then inject the gas.
jillianD
on 6/27/08 1:53 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
What did the dr say in PV?  Are you using gas-X?  If the problem seem to be exasterbated by drinking what temp are you drinking you fluids at?  Could be to warm or too cold or just too much at once and you need to take smaller sips.  Do you have a Dr you can contact here? Otherwise you might try the lap band board for faster info.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Hislady
on 6/27/08 2:00 pm - Vancouver, WA
It does sound like gas, not that it makes it any easier to deal with. Try GasX, a heating pad, and walk as much as you can. Sometimes a warm drink works best. I know it is miserable for some folks and others don't have problems at all. It really should ease up in the next few days. If not do call your surgeon and get his input. Welcome to bandsterville!
Artisticchyck
on 6/27/08 2:38 pm - Marysville, WA
I was taking GasX from the very start, and continued throughout.  Even on the plane I was using the fast disolving strips.  Initially the nutritionist told me it was the gas, but it is just so scary.  I guess I just wanted assurance that it was temporary.  I was just afraid the band was too high or something to that effect. Thanks everyone!
VickiStevens
on 6/27/08 4:31 pm - Tacoma, WA
I am banded and I have never had a feeling of not being able to breath.  It is possible that it is gas, but please have it checked out.  it is always best to err on the side of caution. Take care.
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
Susan O.
on 6/28/08 3:58 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Hi! Not to be an alarmist, but please go to the doc quickly if this is not resolved. One of the side effects of any surgery is a pulmonary embolism. If it is a small clot, a feeling of heaviness, or that it is hard to breathe is the only symptom (but can quickly get worse). Please go to your doctor, or urgent care immediately. Ruling this out can mean the difference between life and death. Let us know how you are doing.

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

jillianD
on 6/28/08 1:38 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hope you are feeling better today!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

lorisb
on 7/1/08 5:34 am - Vancouver, WA
I agree with Vicki.  If you haven't seen a doctor and you're still experiencing this it is NOT normal.  You need to be seen.  If you've had the issue resolved it would be great to hear what's happened or if you had to go to the doctor. What you're describing sounds like it could be so many things that are extremely dangerous if not deadly (pulmonary emboli come to mind immediately) you need to be seen by a doctor ASAP. Lori
Most Active