Boeing Regence Traditional Insurance

Sheryl R.
on 6/25/08 3:52 pm - Buckley, WA
I just found out that as of July 1st, they've changed their policy for wls.  They used to just require proof of 5 years of morbid obesity.  Now they are requiring one year of a medically supervised, structured diet.  I'm so disappointed!  Geesh, haven't we all been on 500 diets?  The point is that we need more than that.  I really wanted to be able to have surgery in the next few months and was excited that I might lose a bunch of weight before my 30 year high school reunion.  Now I probably won't even go.  I just can't bring myself to be seen there.  Most of them haven't seen me since high school when I was a size 11, and now I'm a 28. Very grouchy now. Sheryl

Only "obese" now!

jillianD
on 6/26/08 12:30 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I just don't understand the whole diet thing.  If we could lose it on a diet and keep it off don't the ins companies think we would??  Have you already started the process with your surgeon?  Is it possible that you can be grandfathered in since you started before July 1st? I truly hope things work out for you.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Sheryl R.
on 6/26/08 2:35 am - Buckley, WA
Unfortunately, this plan kicks in for us on July 1st, the day the changes start.  Our current plan has an exclusion for wls.
Hislady
on 6/26/08 9:30 am - Vancouver, WA
I know it's very disappointing, I had to do a 6 mo. supervised diet but I knew it from the get go. Try using this time to practice your new eating habits taking small bites, chewing well, drinking your water and try new recipes that will work for you after surgery. Also take time to reflect on and work at changing bad habits or any addictive issues you may have. The time will go much faster for you if you are concentrating on being successful after your surgery. Best of luck.
Pam M.
on 6/28/08 4:20 pm - WA

I went to my consultation in March, hoping to have the surgery in June. I got in just under the window, and am scheduled for surgery on July 18th. I feel your pain. In the beginning, there was confusion about when the plan took effect, and my doctor was going to try and get me in in April, when we originally thought the plan changed on May 1st. 

I agree with you. If diets have not worked in the past, what makes them think it will work now? Boneheads. When I went in for my psych eval, she made the comment that it is most likely because more people are asking for the procedure, so they are putting restrictions on it.  

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

Sheryl R.
on 6/30/08 10:25 am - Buckley, WA
I think you're right about the reason.  I'm sure they want to save a buck by weeding people out. I'm feeling a little better about having to wait a year than I was when I first found out.  I'm going to try to concentrate on changing my lifestyle little by little.  The only thing that worries me is what if I lose weight and then don't meet the BMI qualifications?  I'm going to try to find out more about that. It's great that you were able to beat the clock, so to speak.  I bet you're getting excited.  Which surgery are you getting?  Whichever it is, I wish you the best. Sheryl
Most Active