Support Group for men?

BigMurph
on 6/10/08 6:05 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
Are there any support groups primarily for men in the Seattle/Tacoma area?  If not are there any groups with both men and women? I'm one week post lap band. I love this site but I can't help but notice that most of the members are female.
jillianD
on 6/11/08 12:10 am, edited 6/11/08 12:12 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hi there glad you posted.  I went to Merrilou's group in Auburn last night that had a man.  He was a bandster too.  You might want to check her out.  Otherwise have you been to the mens forum here on OH?  Us girls aren't allowed to go in the locker room so for the most part its girl free. Good luck and your welcome to hang here too we don't bite...... much! Heres the link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Shelley S.
on 6/11/08 1:11 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Hi there! There is a support group in Tacoma once a month that's for any surgery.  The group page has a lot of info on it if you're interested.   The next meeting is on Monday the 16th of June Thru Thick N Thin

Shelly W.
on 6/11/08 6:48 am - Sumner, WA
Hi Cary,  It's one week now.  How are you?  I am doing lots better.  Am starting to get stir crazy too.  I never thought I'd be excited to have a protein shake, but I was soooo happy to get to have them today.   Anyway, about your question.  We have one for Lapbanders in Federal Way.  It meets the first Wednesday of the month at 6:00 pm.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/showeventinfo.php?E vent_ID=1201901694  Located in the conference room across from Dr. S' office. There were a couple of men at the meeting last month.  Not sure if they were banded or spouses.  I'm trying to talk Frank into going too. Hope you are doing well!
--Shelly

BigMurph
on 6/11/08 10:32 am - Bonney Lake, WA

I've been doing very well. I plan to go back to work Monday. I couldn't wait to have a protein shake today too! It really made a difference in my energy level! I will try to make that support group next month. It works good to go to St. Frans since its close to work.  Hope all is well!

nancy6
on 6/12/08 2:05 pm - Tacoma, WA

I second the suggestion about attending the Auburn support group.  Unfortunately, they are not meeting in July and their next meeting will be August 9 for a BBQ.  Usually they meet on the 2nd Tuesday of the month... Another suggestion is Vitalady's group.  Vitalady (Michelle) is located fairly near the Costco in Puyallup,  Her group meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month as well, but also meets the following night (which usually is the second Wednesday, but not always-it could actually be the 3rd Wednesday...if the month starts on Wednesday).  There are usually 2-3 guys at the Wednesday group.  Don, Michelle's husband is there and he is a WLS success story.  There are usually 2-3 other men there as well.  I can't speak for her Tuesday group as I attend the Wednesday one.  Michelle and Don are on a cross country trip now and have someone else covering their meetings, which were this week.  My understanding is they will still be out of town in July, but do have great people leading the support groups in their absence.  The July meetings should be July 8 and 9.   If you want more info on either of the groups, just ask.  I'd be happy to share their contact info, etc.  Or you can check out the websites - www.vitalady.com and www.enjoyhealth.com as both sites should give you info on the support groups as well.

~Nancy~

BigMurph
on 6/12/08 2:27 pm - Bonney Lake, WA

Thanks for all your help! I will try to get to one of them next month!

Most Active