2 week post op and have concerns

stefanie_matthews
on 6/3/08 3:31 pm - Bellingham, WA
I had surgery 2 weeks ago, I had roux en y gastric  and I know this may sound lame but I am afraid of stretching pouch out by drinking water. In the beginning I had the hardest time drinking fluids, and now I can do it much faster, is it possible to stretch it out this soon and with just liquids... really?
Starting Over
on 6/4/08 4:36 am
Hi Stefanie, You should be fine. You have just has MAJOR surgery, everything is still sore, inflammed, and "new" inside your body. You should be able to drink water easier as you go along. I was hardly able to take tiny sips of water in the beginning. Now, over 6 months out I'm able to drink water as I could pre-op.  This is why your surgeon probably has a schedule of when to drink and eat what and at what stage you're ready to move on. You definitely need to get as much water in as possible to avoid dehydration, don't be scared of stretching your pouch with water.  Also, congrats on joining the losers bench!
jillianD
on 6/4/08 8:34 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Be glad you are able to drink much faster!  Less chance of getting dehydrated.  Your not chuggin down a whole bottle of water are ya?  No??  Then your fine.    The part of your stomach that they use to make your pouch is the least elastic part.  Thougher and less likely to strech.  Not that you couldn't if you really worked at it.  Don't worry as long as you are following you drs instructions you will be fine.   Let us know how it goes when you move on to purees!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

nancy6
on 6/5/08 9:18 am - Tacoma, WA
Stefanie - I agree with the other posts.  I'm sure you're doing great!  Just follow Dr. Oh's plan and you'll do great!  I'm one of his patients, too, so know what you're going through with the 30 days of clear liquids post-surgery.  Had my lap RNY 12/6/07 and have had no problems.  Just keep getting that protein and other clear liquids in and you'll be fine.  The liquids go through the pouch pretty quickly so I don't think you have to worry about stretching it out now.  Take care...

~Nancy~

jillianD
on 6/5/08 12:37 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
You had to do 30 days of clear liquids???  Wow how scary, you can't argue with your results though!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

nancy6
on 6/5/08 1:18 pm - Tacoma, WA
Oh, yes...  Clear liquids and I were very close friends for a while there!    Two weeks pre-op and 30 days post-op it was clear liquids and protein shakes only...  Fortunately, after surgery I didn't really mind it, but it was kind of exciting to get to that 30 day mark and be able to try some "real" food!!  LOL

~Nancy~

Most Active