Thanks everyone

yesipray
on 6/2/08 12:04 am
For the wam welcome and answers to questions. I have been unsettled in my mind *all weekend* IF I wanted to even take this route....I hate that feeling of going back and forth. I have the intial appt. where you fill out forms next week. So I have decided to go ahead and start the process. Can I ask, does Madigan want you to lose weight before??? Just wondering. Deby http://applesofgoldinpicturesofsilver.blogspot.com
Susan O.
on 6/2/08 3:36 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Hi Deby!    Don't worry about being unsettled! There are many people that start this process, stop for awhile and then return when they are absolutely sure. I only know of one person that at a year out wishes she would have NOT had the surgery. I have spoken with lots of people that started, then stopped to think and some decided yes, and some decided no. Personally I went to a seminar in the community 2 years ago, decided no, then went to another and decided yes - and then found out Madigan did the surgery so went there. I went through the original "pathway" where we had much more "training" on what goes on inside our heads, and really am happy to have had that.     I would suggest  starting the process remembering you can change your mind right up to before they put you under for surgery!! The best advice I can give though, is to start coming to support group meetings right away! The nutrition support group is on Tuesdays@ 3 p.m., and the "talk about everything" support group is on Thursdays from 5-7 p.m. in the Cosio Conf. room on the ground floor of the nursing tower next to the AAFES snack bar. Please come and get acquainted with all of us losers!    As far as pre-surery weight loss, some have been told to lose, some haven't, but it is the SURGEON who makes that call, not the coordinator....just keep that in mind!      Good decisions rarely come easy!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Truemans_Mom
on 6/2/08 5:08 am - Edmonds, WA
Similar subject. I am very undecided about having WLS at this point. Maybe some of you folks from the Washington board can help (lots of military here). One of the big reasons I worry about having it done is that if I move to a more rural area the doctors may not know what to do with me should I get sick - I've noticed that not many folks in Eastern Washington or North Idaho have had WLS and I may end up there in a few years. I've seen on other boards where people can't even get the right blood work to know if they are doing OK. What if something major goes wrong - and it seems it certainly can - down the road Do I have to come back to Seattle for healthcare the rest of my life? I'm looking for you guys' take on this. Thanks Jan

Jan D.

Hislady
on 6/2/08 6:03 am - Vancouver, WA
I know there are several groups in the Spokane are and I believe WallaWalla too. I'm pretty sure there must be groups in Idaho too, at least in the bigger cities. I think you just see more around the Seattle area because of the big military presence there. Check out some of the info here on OH, I'm sure they show where surgeons are. The only drawback may be a surgeon not wanting to take on another surgeon's patient, but I'm sure you could find someone if you move.
yesipray
on 6/2/08 6:47 am
Can you go to the support groups even before you have that first meeting in Pathways where you fill out the forms etc.... Just wondering. Deby
jillianD
on 6/2/08 10:44 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
The thurs evening support you can t.otally go to.  I am not sure about the tues daytime one though
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Christine439
on 6/2/08 8:13 am
Deby,    Madigan does want you to lose weight before. The Pathways is geared toward giving you information and helping you modify your behavior. By implementing behavior modification, there is the expectation that you should begin losing weight. Your weight is monitored at some of your appointments (nutrition, meetings with coordinator).      If you are at all interested, I would suggest moving forward. As stated before, you can stop at any point. Best of luck to you, Christine
Most Active