Hair loss

Tazzi
on 5/29/08 4:27 am - WA
I've been loosing hair for at least 6 weeks now.  Does anybody know how long this usually lasts?  I'm down 115 pounds - but I bet 5 of it was hair!  Surgery was 5 months ago.
Shelley S.
on 5/29/08 5:33 am - Ft Lewis, WA
From what I have read, and of course everyone is different, I think it's usually between your 3rd and 6th months out.  If so, yours should slow down very soon. I have noticed a lot more of mine is coming out when I'm in the shower, I've always lost a little bit, genetics I think, but now it's getting worse and I'm just coming up on 3 months out, oh the joy. Hang in there hun!!

Tazzi
on 5/29/08 7:18 am - WA

Thanks Shelly.  I sure hope you're right and I'm about done.  I can't afford to loose much more!  I bought a pink baseball cap to wear if my hair gets really thin.  My house looks like a persian cat shed all over it - short white hairs everywhere no matter how often I vacuum!

P.S. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat - even if I go bald!!!  I haven't felt this good in years!

jillianD
on 5/29/08 10:59 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Now I heard between 3-9 months.  But I bet if you look real close I bet you see new growth soon! BTW  115 lbs in 5 months is amazing!!  Good for you!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Tazzi
on 5/29/08 10:24 pm - WA
Nope, no new hair growth yet, but I'm staying positive on this!   Thanks Jillian!
nancy6
on 5/29/08 2:18 pm - Tacoma, WA
First of all - you are doing GREAT!!!!  115 pounds in 5 months is awesome - keep up the great work!!  I'm about 3 weeks ahead of you (my surgery was 12/6/07) and I've been losing my hair for a couple months.  I had fine, thin hair before so really was hoping I'd dodge the bullet and not lose it, but no such luck.  I have noticed that it seems to be slowing down a bit, but it's still coming out .  I'm going to start using Nioxin shampoo, conditioner and some kind of scalp treatment.  My hairdresser has recommended it - it's supposed to help stimulate the regrowth.  Let's hope so!!  Or I may be getting a pink baseball cap, too!   I agree with you - I'd do it all over again.  If this is the worst side effect (and for me it has been the only real side effect) then I'll deal with it!!  Take care...

~Nancy~

hairstylist22
on 5/29/08 3:43 pm - tacoma
im a hairstylist too and as for the nioxin it only works if u use the whole system whi*****ludes the cleanser, scalp therapy and the pill you take with it, but i cant remember what they are called right now. but it works for cancer patients. it doesnt regrow hair its just prevents it from falling out more.
nancy6
on 5/30/08 10:53 am - Tacoma, WA
Thanks for the info.  I hadn't heard anything about pills - just shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment.  I'll have to ask some more questions!  I see you have Dr. Oh - he did my surgery.  He's not a lot for chit-chat, but he's a great surgeon!  Have you got a surgery date yet?  Wishing you all the best on this journey!

~Nancy~

Tazzi
on 5/29/08 8:53 pm - WA
Thanks Nancy.  I'm taking a supplement for hair and nails but it hasn't done a thing for me.  Guess I'll  be grateful I didn't have anything worse happenand and move on!  It can't last forever!
Colleen M.
on 5/30/08 5:46 am - Port Angeles, WA
Well, Im 6 months postop and my hair is still falling out (getting pretty thin around my temples) so I mainly have the same question
keep on Smiling!
Most Active