Naproxen before Surgery

MrsLeach06
on 5/15/08 5:06 am - Gig Harbor, WA
RNY on 05/19/08 with

Repost from the Main board! I have a feeling that i am screwed! Long story short I had a minor procedure done on Monday, in and out in one hour. Well Wed. got a call to move surgery date up. Got all excited and all that jazz. Well I have taken a few naproxen for the pain ( Though it hasn't helped!) and was reading that I CAN"T take naproxen two weeks before surgery. So I am am just curious if I am totally screwed and have to wait now. Have pre-op appointment tomorrow and surgery Monday. Any comments welcome. Will call doctor later.

jillianD
on 5/15/08 7:01 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Ohh I have no idea, sorry.  I do know you can't take it after.  Good luck and let us know how it goes I am curious.  Do you ever go to thurs night support group at madigan? 
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Christine439
on 5/15/08 8:41 am

That's a difficult situation because it's the pre-op instructions that tell you when to discontinue meds. On the instructions it says "to be determined by you surgeon or anesthesia provider" and then lists the drugs (including Naproxen) and provides a space with a date. Mine says "Now" and I was 7 days out from surgery.  When you go tomorrow, be sure to have your dosage info and when you last took it.  I wish you the best.  Christine

MrsLeach06
on 5/15/08 9:13 am, edited 5/15/08 9:13 am - Gig Harbor, WA
RNY on 05/19/08 with
Thanks ladies. We find out for sure in the morning. I am hoping that I will be ok because sadly enough the procedure that I had Monday (LEEP) could have cause excess bleeding and yet they gave me naproxen! I worry about these military docs!  Jillian, no I haven't been to one of the meetings at Madigan YET. I have been to the ones at Naval Hospital Bremerton. I will be going to them as soon as I can though.
Most Active