Post Op Questions

Christine439
on 5/12/08 2:43 am

I had surgery last Monday and was released Wednesday afternoon. I was sent home on a clear liquids diet.  I'm getting in the 48 ounces (mostly water with the occasional DaVinci snow cone). This has worked well because I still have problems with my throat from intubation and scoping. I see my surgeon tomorrow for the first follow up but have a couple questions. How do you determine when to move from stage to stage besides the "general" guideline provided?  Was anyone prescribed Colace? If so, were you able to swallow it whole? How did you consume it?  I tried eeking the liquid out and putting it in Jello -- it burnt my throat. NOT doing that again.

Did anyone end up with a heightened sense of smell? This reminds me of my early months of morning sickness, with smells making me a bit queasy.

Thank you for all of your help.  Christine

Annie B.
on 5/12/08 3:34 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
I followed the basic guidelines given in the green book we got.  I was prescribed colace, but never took it YUCK! My sense of smell is very much heightened...and the strangest things can make me sick to my stomach - like one day, the boys' chicken nuggets smell SO good, the next day, I have to run out of the kitchen so I don't throw up!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Christine439
on 5/13/08 2:40 am
Annie,    I'm looking forward to the day something food smells SO good again. It's taking all my strength to clean up the kitchen after my husband and kids have eaten. Blah! Christine
Amanda S.
on 5/12/08 4:49 am - shelley, ID
Congrats on your surgery! I was told exactly when i was cleared to move from stage to stage, what guidelines were you given? Also I was sent home with colace but the liquid kind. Maybe you could cru****

Amanda
260/241/134/200
highest/preop/lowest/current

Christine439
on 5/13/08 2:36 am

Amanda,     Thank you!!  Through the nutrition class, I was provided a booklet with each stage. It says that most people are given Stage 2 Full Liquid while in the hospital. I wasn't, and I was discharged on a clear liquids diet. Strange since I had minimal nauseu in the hospital -- just a few queasy moments.     Last night I advanced myself to SF Carnation IB because I feel so weak.  It went fine. Christine

kittykatzmom
on 5/12/08 5:31 am - Mason co., WA
I was given colace in the hospital the liquid from the capsule also burned my throat real bad and I refused it the next time.  I finaly did take a whole capsule last night and didn't have a problem it.  Good luck.

~Cindy~

Christine439
on 5/13/08 2:44 am
Cindy,    It's good to know that you were able to tolerate it. I don't really need it right now and am limiting my pill swallowing to Vicadin and one other Rx.  Christine
Susan O.
on 5/13/08 1:53 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Hi Christine!    My non-medical advice is to pitch that colace as far as you can! There is no reason Colace in that form should still be being prescribed! So many of us have complained, but obviously to no avail. We can;t even absorb that form of tablet, so it only serves as something else to have to pass!  I would suggest using a little liquid or chewable Milk of Magnesia right now. Make sure you don't take too much or you'll get crampy. Just don't allow yourself to get constipated, and believe or not, even on liquids, you still can!    Several people have had good luck wearing the Sea Bands on their wrists for nausea. I used Benedryl - but of course that caused me to spend most of my time sleeping instead of drinking or walking like I was supposed to be. I know Walgreens has the Sea Bands.    At 10.5 months out, some smells still make me queasy (like those horrid public restroom deodorizers!) Breathe  slowly and deeply  - in through your mouth and out your nose. It also helped me to keep an alcohol pad with me that I could rip open and sniff. That got me our of Costco without puking into my purse!!   Good Luck!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Christine439
on 5/13/08 2:58 am
Susan,   I'm not having any issues so I'm just going to continue to skip the Colace. Thank you for the alternatives.    I think I'll start carrying some alcohol pads. I can't believe how queasy I feel just at home. I may look into Sea Bands as well.  Thanks, Christine
jillianD
on 5/13/08 6:35 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I second those alcholpads!!  They saved my life!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Most Active