Lapband or RNY with RA/Autoimmue/Ankylosing spondylitis?

Cheryl N.
on 5/4/08 5:28 am - Des Moines, WA

Hi I am doing research on WLS, lapband or RNY. ANyone have had WLS with autoimmune issues such as RA, Ankylosing Spondylitis?  I am going to see my doctor on 20th to discuss the options.  I am tired of being overweight for 30 years, tried several diets, such as WW, JC, South beach, and I did lose 70 lbs at one point but gained them all back plus more and I am not happy! :(  Thanks!

Helen_Anne
on 5/4/08 6:16 am - Bremerton, WA
You may want to post this question on the Lap Band site for Dr Curry.  He does all the surgerys and maybe a good "2nd Opinion" on if having any of those conditions and which surgery may be the best choice. Good Luck with your research. Helen
nancy6
on 5/4/08 1:40 pm - Tacoma, WA
I don't have personal experience, but do know of one person who has lots of autoimmune issues, RA and others.  It was recommended that she have WLS (RNY I believe) but then they found out other medical issues that precluded her from it.  She has scleroderma and serious lung problems, which I think are the issues that closed the door on WLS.  Don't know if this helps you or not, but thought I'd mention it.

~Nancy~

Cheryl N.
on 5/4/08 2:53 pm - Des Moines, WA
Thank you all! :)
aramcobrat74
on 5/5/08 1:01 am - Tacoma, WA
Nice to see someone in my area (NE Tacoma/Federal Way)! Your post caught my eye because my husband has AS. He takes Enbrel now and has had wonderful results. They even asked him to be a "patient model" in their brochures. I went to Dr. Oh's seminar a couple of weeks ago and am going to the seminar at Valley Medical on Wednesday. I'm thinking about having surgery but am trying to be well informed before I make my final decision. Good luck!
Amberbear31
on 5/6/08 4:52 pm - Federal Way, WA
Hijack! Welcome neighbor.
Amber

Band Removed 6/17/08
Sleeve gastrectomy 6/27/11
Most Active