need VBG advice

igmaam
on 5/3/08 10:15 am
My husband had a VBG on Monday and still feels kind of queasy and his back is sore. When he drinks he says he hears a gurgle and always has to burp. He just wants to know if this is pretty normal and how soon he might feel better. Can you help us?
jillianD
on 5/3/08 1:00 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I had a bypass surgey and it sounds pretty normal to me.  Espically if he had the surgery laproscopically, they inflate you with gas to give them more room to work.  Extra burping an farting are normal, he needs to walk a bit to work it out.  All that gas can cause back pain as well as they do move us around a bit in surgery.  I felt a lot better between 7-10 days.  Gas-X strips work great, and getting in all you fluids should help the nausea. Good luck to you both!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

igmaam
on 5/3/08 1:21 pm
Gas-X, okay, thank you Jillian. I will pick some up. He says his stomach feels very acidy and doesn't want to put anything down there. I fed him some Mylanta, but it didn't seem to help. I'll let him know he shoud be feeling better in a few days. He lost three pounds in the last day and a half, but is feeling so miserable he takes no joy in it yet.
Geminidream
on 5/3/08 2:23 pm - Spokane, WA
Hi, I had open VBG in '99 and that all sounds very normal.  Since mine was open and not lap, it took a good six weeks to really feel better.  But I followed surgeon's orders and walked, walked, walked and wore my binder and every day I'd feel a bit better.   Regarding the back soreness, I was told it was from laying motionless on the operating table and being overweight.  Without being up and about as easily as I had before surgery it took awhile for that to sort out but it did once I was more mobile.   Hope he feels better soon! Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
igmaam
on 5/4/08 12:52 am
Thank you Molly. He is mostly complaining of an acidy feeling now and doesn't want to eat or drink, too sick feeling. Has lost over twenty pounds in the last week. Hopefully, he will be turning a corner soon. Thanks for you support.
jillianD
on 5/6/08 6:48 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I just wanted to say if he is still feeling acidy he might ask dr if he will prescribe an acid reducer.  I was put on one for 3 months after surgery to prevent ulcers.  Different dr's have different protocol though.  Don't want to much acid in that new tummy!!

igmaam
on 5/6/08 8:50 am
And thank you Jillian. The doctor did put him on Prilosec and that seems to be kicking in now. I was just worried because he lost 28 pounds in a week and seemed so weak and sick. He ate more today, thank goodness, and says his acid level is down.
jillianD
on 5/6/08 9:03 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I'm not surprised about the weight loss and the weakness, both are pretty normal.  Remember men have that amazing ability to lose weight at the drop of a hat.  LOL  Don't be surprised if hes weak for another couple of weeks, it does start to improve around 2 weeks though.  I remember the first time I took a shower I had to sit down twice.  Does he have a drain?  I did and I think it slowed me down.  He will lose a large amount of weight the first 2 months and then it will slow down to more normal levels. Take care and ask questions anytime!  Your hubby is lucky that you love him so much!!

igmaam
on 5/6/08 9:39 am
My boss asked me about a drain today too, she had bariatric surgery about a year ago and is down close to 100 pounds. No, he doesn't have one. Maybe it wasn't necessary since he just had the VBG? I know men do lose much more quickly. He was hoping to drive himself to the first post-surgical appt but we talked him out of it. He's just too weak still, even to drive the four miles to work. Maybe next week he will be able to take in enough nutrition to feel stronger. Thanks for the encouragement.
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 5/6/08 12:44 am - WA
Walk-Walk- Walk!!!!   make sure he gets lots of fluid, it was crystal lite that worked for me and the protein drinks are so impotant!! It will get better . Merrilou
Most Active