Protein Suppletment Ideas - please help me...

Annie B.
on 5/2/08 4:11 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
So...I decided to give it a whirl and try making another protein shake. This time, as someone suggested, putting it in a cup with a lid and using a straw - in case the smell is what was getting to me.

If you don't know...the protein shakes are the ONLY thing that has made me throw up.

Well...today, no such luck...it didn't come up, but I was gagging so bad, I thought something was bound to come up. It didn't, but now, over an hour later, I can't even drink water without feeling REALLY SICK.

So I plan to try them every so often - but I don't know if I'll be able to eat or drink anything else today. I feel so horrible...I was driving down the street gagging, holding a cup to my mouth in case something came up. Not fun. Then I was really shakey.

So...I need ideas for protein supplements that I can try - I have the isopure premixed stuff...and I like it...but it's really expensive, and I need a little more variety - in all the kinds I've tried, I only like two of them.

What I have found is that I like things with a slight fruity flavor (yes, I've tried the Nectar powder - made me sick). I have tried the bullets - YUCK! And I don't like chocolate anymore.

Thanks!
~Annie

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Amanda S.
on 5/2/08 5:06 am - shelley, ID

I'm sorry Annie, I still can't tolerate protein shakes. The only protein supplements I have been able to tolerate are designer whey unflavored which early out I added to everything I could (oatmeal, spaghetti sauce, scrambled eggs etc)

I found I could also tolerate chocolate flavored dessert brand protein powder which I can ONLY tolerate in baking form. I use them in peanut butter protein balls.  Other than that it's been a no go for me. I wasted so much money on supplements that I coudln't use and ended up giving away.

Amanda
260/241/134/200
highest/preop/lowest/current

Annie B.
on 5/2/08 2:37 pm - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Yeah...I've wasted a lot too...gonna see if anyone wants to buy some of it off of me - I would give it away, but man, we're broke and I need to get some Isopure!!!  Hmmm...I'll have to post it in a new post...take stock of my protein powder and just get rid of it all!!!!

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 5/2/08 5:53 am - WA
There are some good premixed drinks in cans and bottles have you tried them? Merrilou
Annie B.
on 5/2/08 2:39 pm - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
I've tried a couple of canned ones - they were vanilla - YUCKO!  The only other I've tried is Isopure...and I LOVE it - well the Grape Frost and the Blue Rapsberry...but MAN is it expensive!!  I want fruity type kinds...what do you have?  Do you have much variety of fruity premixed (other than isopure - I've tried pretty much all of those)? Thanks!

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 5/7/08 3:40 am - WA

What about Fruit Punch, Grape,Watermelon,Tangerine or Tropical? If you can stop by you might like one of them!  Merrilou

Annie B.
on 5/7/08 4:43 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Hmmm...one of those might work...I'll have to see when I can possibly come by there. ~Annie

jillianD
on 5/2/08 7:38 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Annie, I feel your pain. I have switched to soy I got it at walmart it was around 10 dollars.  Its chalky but at lest it doesn't make me gag, or feel any nausea.  I just suck it down real quick with a chaser. I usually wiz it with some yogurt, and frozen fruit, and some kind of low cal juice.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Annie B.
on 5/2/08 2:45 pm, edited 5/2/08 2:45 pm - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
I'm SO afraid to try ANYTHING now!!  UGH!!  I haven't been able to eat a thing today!  Barely water!  I don't wanna have this happen again!!!  My poor boys were terrified when I was driving down the road gagging, holding an empty cup to my face...then when we stopped I was doubled over in the parking lot of my husband's work...I could see the fear on my five year old's face - he kept asking, are we taking Mommy to the doctor?  It's gonna be a while before I try it again!

nancy6
on 5/2/08 7:48 am - Tacoma, WA

I'm so sorry that you're having trouble with the protein shakes.  Have you thought of going to Vitalady's for a taste testing session?  There are so many different ones out there - hopefully you could find some that would help.  I know Merrilou would do taste testing too - maybe if you come to her group on the 13th you could try some of the canned or bottled ones she referred to.

I've found that I really like the protein mixed with ice.  I whiz the ice first to get it a bit like shaved ice and then I add the protein, water, vitamins, etc.  Also - I like the vanilla cream protein mixed up with water and a few frozen raspberries.  I get the frozen berries with no sugar added so the sugar is very low. Wishing you lots of luck in finding some protein that will work for you!!  Take care...

~Nancy~

Most Active