I got sick, but I'm glad lol

Shelley S.
on 5/1/08 1:08 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Ok this will sound weird, but since surgery I have been hardcore about not having sugar.  I will eat things with splenda of course, but have stayed away from things with regular sugar.  So last night, I tested myself.  I had about 2 bites/licks of a snicker drumstick and within I would say 2 minutes was sick as a dog! I don't mean the "food is stuck, let me go get rid of it and feel better" kind of sick, I mean omg I'm gonna blow kind of sick.  I had no intentions of eating said drumstick, just wanted to see if it would make me sick.  I am pleased a*****h that it did in fact make me so now in my mind, I have no desire for anything not sweetened with splenda or the like.  I don't know if surgery itself did it to me, or the fact that the last few months have been "sugar free" but either way I'm very glad to know something is working to make me sick.  Prior to surgery, sweets were my downfall and I can find plenty to make and eat that substitutes regular sugar with splenda and it tastes just as good and does NOT make me sick. On a side note, had it not made me sick, I do still have the will power to say no because I like the scale to move downward, it was hubby's icecream all along.  I'm just happy (weird I know) that it did in fact make me ill. Anyone else tested the waters with the same results?

Amanda S.
on 5/1/08 1:12 am - shelley, ID
I'm glad you got sick! Sorry that sounded mean.. it wasn't meant to be. I just understand what you are saying. I haven't done too much testing, I'm not ready yet, ( kind of wish I was actually LOL) but things that are "ok" have made me sick. Like tropicana light and tasty OJ. LOVE IT. 8 oz only.... a drop above 8 oz and i'm sick as a dog.  I DID try a mcdonalds kiddie cone because they are 45 calories and only 6 grams of sugar and I had been craving ice cream for weeks. I didn't really count that as testing because the sugars were so low. Maybe I should have though?

Amanda
260/241/134/200
highest/preop/lowest/current

Shelley S.
on 5/1/08 1:19 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Nope girl not mean at all, in all honesty I WANTED to be sick.  I am hard headed at times and by it making me ill, I'll not want to try it again for a very very long time  lol   The same thing happened after my 21st birthday, to this day, (well before surgery anyway) I can't drink Jack Daniels for the same reason and that was a LOT of years ago  hehehe.

Amanda S.
on 5/1/08 1:31 am - shelley, ID
LMAO!!!

Amanda
260/241/134/200

jillianD
on 5/1/08 6:43 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Nope I wouldn't count it.  Lots of people don't dunp unless they go over 10 grams, and you might try it next week and dump then.  I think there are a lot of factors that make people sick including what else you might have eaten during the day.  I got sick on cereal a few weeks ago.  Boy was I surprised! 4grams of suger and it was low carb too.  Don't know what did it, but I won't eat it again.  Too bad to it was good cereal lots of fiber and omega 3 fatty acids.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Amanda S.
on 5/1/08 10:04 pm - shelley, ID
What kind of cereal was it?

Amanda
260/241/134/200

jillianD
on 5/1/08 6:47 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Nope I haven't intentionally tested, but I have gotten sick on a few things.  Yikes!!  I don't want to do that I puke way to easy now, and so many proteins make me sick unless they are in soup.  More solid stuff still is not working for me at all.  How are you doing with things like that??  I am getting kinda tired of soup.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

nancy6
on 5/1/08 2:57 pm - Tacoma, WA
You are a brave woman, Shelley - or is it just crazy!!  :)  I haven't tried any of the "forbidden" sugar foods yet - too paranoid about dumping...  But I'm glad you were brave enough to give it a shot and now you know...  Only splenda and no Jack Daniels!!  LOL 

~Nancy~

hugeseahawksfan
on 5/1/08 3:43 pm
so shelley you worshiped the toilet god huh? LOL sorry you got sick. BUT

Chris

Shelley S.
on 5/1/08 11:53 pm - Ft Lewis, WA
lol yep only splenda sugared things for me from now on.  Thankfully I can tolerate splenda, I've seen others post that they cant.  I can't wait to get back to the commisary now, one of the girls at the support group meeting found some peanut butter that I can't wait to try.  Thank goodness I can tolerate peanut butter, well I say that, lol, lets just say, FOR NOW I can and hope I'm able forever  hehehe.

Most Active