Delurking with hopsital and post op questions

Christine439
on 4/28/08 6:33 am

Hello, all!   My surgery is scheduled for next week (Lap RNY), and I am now finding that I have lots of questions so please bear with me...   Muscles and movement: did you find that you were able to move relatively normally post-op or did you discover "new and different" muscles became engaged because the abdomen was out of commission?  I have back issues already (my qualifying co-morb) so I'm a bit concerned.   What to take: Is there anything you wished you had with you in the hospital? If there is anything specific to Madigan, I would like to know that, too.    I've learned so much reading the posts on the board, but may have missed these questions if they were already addressed. Thank you for your help. Christine

Susan O.
on 4/28/08 11:14 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with

Hi Christine!      My advice is to come to the Thursday WLS Support Group meeting  at Madigan this week! There will be a bunch of people there that can help answer your questions, and give you their input. It is so helpful to talk to people who have "been there, done that!"  I started going when it was a part of the Pathway, and have missed very few weeks in these last 10 months. It is so great to have "real world" answers and suggestions rather than just  "book-learned" rhetoric. Granted, no one there is a doctor, but all will be quick to tell you when you need to see one! Please come on Thursday between 5-7 p.m. (whenever you can get there) We meet in the Cosio Conference room on the ground floor of the nursing tower, next to the AAFES snack bar/ATM.   As far as your back is concerned, you will probably need help getting in and out of the chair, bed and bathroom for at least the first week if your back won't allow you to move freely. You shouldn't pull or push yourself up, as it will put too much stress on your abdomen.    I didn't take anything to the hospital but my toothbrush & paste, lip grease, deodorant, shampoo,  and hand & face lotion.  I used their gowns and slippers - let them do the laundry!  Do ask to take a shower before you go home - especially if your shower is on another floor, or you have to step into a tub. That way if you don't feel up to it for a day or two, you won't be too "powerful"!   Hope to meet you on Thursday!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Christine439
on 4/28/08 1:02 pm
Thank you for the invitation, but Thursday nights are spent at the baseball field with my son. I will probably try to make some of the afternoon ones in the nutrition clinic when I am post-op. Lots of different phases were represented.  I've done some PT to strengthen my back, but it's not at an ideal point yet. Hopefully the weight loss will get it there. I did lots of "rolling" into bed post-op for my back and used my arms for support. As for the shower...mine is upstairs, there is a tub, and it's very narrow. Are stairs difficult post-op? We have a recliner (that I loved after having c-section) and are trying to find the best place to put it.  Thank you for all of the information.  Christine
jillianD
on 4/28/08 11:48 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
You have the best surgeon!!  He did me though so I might be a little opiniated.   LOL in addition to above ...some earplugs or an MP3 player were nice for me.  You will be in a room with several others most likely and the ability to drown them out saved my sanity.  You can read my profile for more info about my stay there. Congratulations and here is wishing you a speedy recovery!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Christine439
on 4/28/08 1:09 pm
Jillian,      I'm so happy to have Dr. Sebesta.  We've actually known him since last summer because a family member had some health issues. Thanks for the tip about the noise. I'll have my iPod with me -- it actually has a surgery meditation/visualization CD on it.      I did read your profile and hope that I am waaayyyy out before they are strapping me down! Eeeek!  That was not an issue for my back surgery  -- I was out before I went into the room.      BTW, your new pics look good! Christine
jillianD
on 4/28/08 1:12 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Ehh I was so high I didn't care!! LOL And thanks for the compliment!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Amanda S.
on 4/28/08 9:08 pm - shelley, ID
Hi Christine,  Congrats on your upcoming surgery!  I found I didn't really have any pain, but my belly was uncomfortable from getting up and down so much ( I pee ALOT) pre op I was kinda nervous about the catheter, but I was actually bummed when they took it out because I knew I'd have to get up and down more.  I really enjoyed being in my own PJ's. Aside from that, the only thing I couldn't live w/o was chapstick. I brought books and word puzzles but the truth when I wasn't getting up to use the bathroom and do some walking, I was sleeping.     I did have an obnoxious roomate though, I wish I had thought of the MP3 player! LOL Good luck!!!

Amanda
260/241/134/200
highest/preop/lowest/current

Christine439
on 4/30/08 4:55 am
Amanda,     Thank you for the tips. I'm always making "pit stops"  but think it's good because it means I'm drinking my water. A bit of a blunt question here...did your need to pee decrease because fluids were so limited immediately post-op? Or...did you have IV fluids to rid yourself of? During my hospital stay for my back surgery, I was up every two to three hours going (no cath), but I was also drinking lots of ice water (love the crushed ice!).  Christine
Amanda S.
on 4/30/08 5:01 am - shelley, ID

My need to pee didn't decrease. I have a bladder condition where my bladder doesn't empty all the way, so I literally always have to pee LOL lucky me!

I was grateful for the catheter because I normally pee every 10-20 minutes and with the catheter I didn't have to keep getting up and down to go pee. It was heaven! As soon as they took it out I had to get up and down so much to get to the bathroom it was a bit uncomfortable on my belly. Not painful, I never really had any pain, more discomfort.

Amanda
260/241/134/200
highest/preop/lowest/current

Annie B.
on 4/29/08 12:41 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
One of the biggest things I needed in the hospital was chapstick.  I also used my favorite blanket and my own pillow.  I used their nightgowns and slipper-sock things.  If you have a cell phone, make sure you bring it - yes you can use it in your hospital room.  It was nice to have.

One of my biggest problems when I was in the hospital (at Madigan) was after the morphine pump was taken - that night, I slept something like 7 hours...and when I woke up I was in a lot of pain, and it took them a LONG time to bring me any medication, and by the time they did, it wasn't enough to help the pain.  THEN, I had to wait for them to get approval from the doctor to get me some morphine - it was BAD.  I almost didn't get to go home that day - and it took them almost all day to get the pain under control.  What did I learn from that?  Set your alarm on your cell phone - so you don't sleep through the night - wake yourself up and get those meds!!  I even did that at home the first few days.

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Most Active