disadvantages?

aramcobrat74
on 4/24/08 12:18 pm - Tacoma, WA
I am considering having GBP this summer and was wondering if anyone has had any bad experieces or could share some words of wisdom. I LOVE food and was wondering how difficult it is to not eat all of the things I love to eat. Or is it all worth it in the end? Thanks for your help!
Eggface
on 4/24/08 12:22 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
Best wishes in your research. I'm not from WA but I'd love to put your mind at ease. There is very little from my pre-op life that I can't eat as a post-op. I chose not to eat (bread, rice & pasta -  it's easier than you think) and I don't eat foods high in sugar. You are welcome to check out my blog (link in my siggy) I'm 22 months post-op and I've posted the stuff I ate from the beginning. Trust me you will not be doomed to a life of cottage cheese and protein shakes. ~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Shelley S.
on 4/24/08 1:04 pm - Ft Lewis, WA
Welcome to the Washington board.  I'm newly post op but so far for me, it's been worth it already.  I no longer take diabetes meds, no more sleep apnea and am down to only 1 blood pressure med from 2, all since surgery. Oh and I highly suggest checking out Michelle's (eggface) blog, she has some of the best recipes and I use many of them already.

nancy6
on 4/24/08 1:50 pm - Tacoma, WA
I can only tell you my experience - and that has been all good!  My surgery went very well - I was home about 26 hours after surgery.  Recovery was a breeze - I went back to work 11 days after surgery and could have gone back sooner.  Everything since then has gone very well.  I am about 4-1/2 months post-op and have lost 80 pounds (about 13 of that was pre-op loss).  I feel great and have so much more energy!  I have not had any problems with food as I've tolerated anything I've tried eating.  Granted, I do stay away from sugar and milk per my dr's directions and I try to limit the breads, pastas, rice, etc.  I'm like you - I love food.  I still do - but I just can't eat so much of it!!  I was also very much a sugar/chocolate addict and I find that so far I don't really miss it. I know others have had some problems along the way, but I think most people do feel it's very much worth it in the end.  I think you're wise to be asking questions and getting all the info you can now.  It's always best to make an informed decision.  I wish you all the best as you continue on this journey!  Take care...

~Nancy~

aramcobrat74
on 4/24/08 3:08 pm - Tacoma, WA
I noticed your doctor was Dr. Oh.  Is that the doctor in Federal Way that operates out of St. Francis? 
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 4/25/08 1:58 am - WA
Dr. OH is in Federal Way and he is wounderful, and stricked! you should attend a support group meeting to talk with others who have things to share! I am 5 years out and would do it all again. Merrilou
Amanda S.
on 4/25/08 2:06 am - shelley, ID

I definately went into mourning pre op. I felt like I was going to lose my best friend. Food never let me down or laughed at me, and was always there when I needed her. I had 6 weeks worth of last suppers and gained 13 pounds (NOT a smart move BTW)    I had the same concerns you do. How was i going to live without my favorites? For the first 6 months or so post op it was so easy! I had no desire to eat, and just looking at my old favs could turn my stomach. I eat pretty much what I want now, but you know what? I don't want the foods I wanted pre op. Not for the most part anyway. I do stay away from simple carbs, and I don't eat junk foods like chips and things (I've found wonderful alternatives). And also a big thing is, I KNOW i have to get my protein in first or I can become unhealthy. This makes it easier to make good choices.  Good luck!  P.S. I still love food just different food and smaller amounts

Amanda
260/241/134/200
highest/preop/lowest/current

Most Active