DSHS coverage

Eluvzme2
on 4/24/08 4:53 am
I have read a few people having gotten wls covered by DSHS... How do you start this process? I have Molina (Healthy Options) and they said no. Does DSHS cover it outside of Healthy Options?  Thanks for any information  B
Jennifer Balthrop
on 4/24/08 6:06 am
I have Healthy Options with Group Health. I am still waiting for a decision from DSHS. Heres what my doctor has told me. She said basically that your PCP has to write a letter to DSHS telling them why you need the surgery. It must be medically necessary. She took down a list of diets I have tried and failed as well. Then she sent off the letter and if I get approved I will go onto what they call phase two and have to see a nutritionist and a psychologist for 6 months and lose 5% of my weight during this time. If I get past that part then I get to meet with the surgeon. Without your PCP backing you I don't think DSHS will even consider it. I'm not positive though. Hope that helped a little.

Eluvzme2
on 4/24/08 6:48 am
Thank You so much... :)  My doctor is very interested in helping me persue WLS.. I'm going to look into it again..:) B
Most Active