Too few calories

bombshellintraining
on 4/5/08 2:27 am - Port Orchard, WA

I had my RNY at Group Health on 3/11/08 - success was outstanding at first (20 lbs pre-op), 21-22 postop, but I've now been stalled for about 10 days! I posted about this on the main board, and a lot of people shared that they've had the same experience, so in that regard, I feel pretty normal... but here's my concern... my nut said I should only be consuming about 200-300 calories the first month postop, about 400-600 calories months 2-6, and by month 7, 600-800 calories... in addition, ALL of our protein is to come from food, no protein shakes allowed!  If there are other Group Health RNYers monitoring this forum, I would really appreciate your input about whether you are taking in this low number of calories and if so, how is this working for you. For those of you who are not Group Health patients, I would like your opinions too based on your own experience/caloric intake, etc. I'm beginning to wonder if the low caloric intake has something to do with my stall. Today is the first time the stall has really started to depress me... I'm beginning to wonder if the RNY is even going to work for me. I was in ketosis for a few days (which I knew was a sign that I was burning fat), but have not been in it for a couple of weeks now, even with eating ONLY protein - virtually no carbs. I've done Atkins several times in my life, so I know how my body normally reacts to that kind of restriction (very well)... so I'm baffled why now it's not working. HELP!!!

Shari M.

nancy6
on 4/5/08 5:04 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Shari - Don't let this get you down!!  Hang in there...  I hope you'll get a response from other Group Health patients because I don't have any words of wisdom.  You and I have talked about this before, but my dr. has such a different plan than yours does.  One thing I would suggest is to call Merrilou or Michelle who both sponsor support groups.  Merrilou is at www.enjoyhealth.com and Michelle is Vitalady at www.vitalady.com.  Both are RNY successes who also have their own businesses catering to the nutritional needs of WLS patients.  I think either of them would be able to give you some good advice.  Merrilou posted a reply to another post on the Washington board about a guy needing CBT (Cognitive Behavioral something or another) and I believe she included her phone number.  Have you checked into any support groups that Group Health may sponsor?  Maybe you'd get some good info at one of those if they have them.  But don't let the scale get you down!!  This will work for you - it just may take a little bit to get things sorted out!!!  Take care...

~Nancy~

bombshellintraining
on 4/5/08 8:34 am - Port Orchard, WA
Thanks Nancy - yes I know we've talked about this, and generally the concensus has been the same - I'm taking in too few calories... which is why I'd like some input from fellow Group Health patients (haven't heard anything yet). I'm really hesitant to go against my doctor's or nutritionist's advice, but if what they're recommending is unreasonable and perhaps even backfiring on their patients, it needs to be brought to the forefront. I originally used the Group Health support site, but didn't really seem to find any useful info there, but perhaps I'll give it another try. Thanks also for the links you provided... I'll try to make contact with them.

Shari M.

jillianD
on 4/5/08 10:28 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hi I don't really have any advice for you but I wanted to tell you that it will come off!  I had surgery around the same time as you and have stalled recently too. 400-600 calories is all I can get in so I hope I don't need any more than that. (somedays I have to add in some juice to even get too 400)  From what I understand stalls around this time frame are very normal so I am not worried.  Take care of you, get in your water add a protein shake if you want too.  Its your body, if you add a shake in for a week or too and it helps your loss, then it helps.  I have to have them cause so far most meat makes me.  I don't like em though (shakes)and I can't wait till I can get enough through food. Ps take your measurements, that should put a smile on your face!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

bombshellintraining
on 4/5/08 10:35 am - Port Orchard, WA
Thanks Jillian - I'm not supposed to have any protein shakes per my surgeon... wish I could. If this stall continues, I may have to go ahead and bend some "rules." I did take my measurements the other day, showed a total loss of greater than 20 inches, so you're right - it did put a smile on my face! Take care -

Shari M.

Starting Over
on 4/5/08 2:59 pm

Hey there! This is why I love OH boards! It's so interesting to me to find out what other surgeons and nutritionists recommend. My surgeon is completely opposite what yours says. He wants me to get my protein from shakes only. Any protein that I get from food is "extra".

I would suggest that you check your surgeon's forum and contact some of the members there. That might be helpful fo you to see what his other patients have experienced. Plus you might find some of his patients that had surgery around the same time as you to swap stories/experiences with. As far as the weight loss stall, you shouldn't worry. I have been the same way. A friend of mine had surgery on the same day as me and she is loosing much faster than I am, even though we have similiar diets and workout routines. However, I am loosing inches faster than she is. So that is what keeps me happy when the scale doesn't deliver. We all lose weight at different rates and at different areas of our bodies. So as long as you're shrinking, don't stress about the scale. Good Luck!

bombshellintraining
on 4/6/08 1:43 am - Port Orchard, WA
Thank you so much for your input - it is strange how different our surgeon's plans are for us! I will definitely check out Group Health's forum. As far as the scale not budging, that's frustrating, but I AM losing inches, so I'm grateful for that!  Have a great day!!

Shari M.

Helen_Anne
on 4/5/08 1:17 pm - Bremerton, WA
Shari... I am not a GHC patient either... but I had a friend who had surgery with GHC and the calorie progression sound exactly what my friend did.  She has lost about 85 pounds and is at or very close to the goal weight her doctor wanted her to get to.  She lost the weight in about a year.  I dont think she is eating over 800 now.  She has not lost any more weight for months.  Helen
bombshellintraining
on 4/5/08 2:16 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Thanks Helen - That gives me hope - if it works for your friend, maybe it will work for me after all.

Shari M.

cfidecaro
on 4/6/08 2:37 pm - Snohomish, WA

Hi Shari... I am a GH and Stephen Bock is my doctor. I can't say that the advise is wrong. It has worked for me. I am 8 months post op and am dowm 122 pounds. I have not use protien shakes like everyone here. I am not saying they are wrong is using them, I just don't. I do use injury as a supplement to protein..I add to food. The reason I use it is getting enough protein is really hard for me, so I use it once a day. As to the stall, I can relate, I have had several of those, but only seem to last a few days. I hope this helps..and please email me if you want to chat...

Collette

Most Active