Madigan-Pathways

Kayla M.
on 4/3/08 4:33 pm
I go to my first Pathways class on the 19th of May.  Can someone explain the Pathway process to me? Meg said it was one class in a series of 5.  How often are these classes? What else did you have to go through pre-op? Those of you who just had your surgeries, how long was the process for you from the Orientation class to your surgery date? I've been through most of the stuff already, because I was supposed to have my surgery in VA, but because of orders, I'm starting from scratch here in WA. *shrugs*  I'd just like to know how many hoops I'll be jumping through, and how long I'll be waiting again.
"Did you see that table full of meals?  I mean men!"
~Pat at KC and the Sunshine Band    
Shelley S.
on 4/3/08 11:05 pm - Ft Lewis, WA
Hi there and welcome! Once you go to your first pathway class, you will get a paper from Meg that's a sort of check list.  It has all the required classes listed on it, but it's up to you yourself to make the appointments.  Some have to be taken in a certain order, but really it's harder than it sounds.  Also, once you make your appointments, keep calling back to see if someone canceled because it happens a lot and you can sometimes get into some of your classes sooner than your original appointment date. I keep a blog and one of the pages is my own experience with the pathway classes, feel free to take a peek if you like.   I know sometimes it seems like the wait is forever, but for me, the hoops and wait were so very worth the final outcome.  I am 1 month out today and my only regret is that I didn't do it much much sooner in life. Shelley's Pathway Classes

jillianD
on 4/4/08 12:36 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I'm with Shelly its not as hard as it sounds.  Be proactive about calling for cancellations in the classes, lots of people get through faster for it.  As for time frame I think for most its about 6 months from classes to surgery day, some go faster some take longer, but for me it was 6  months.  Look for a post farther down about Madigan support group.  They have one every thurs eve, you should, go its great motivation.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Kayla M.
on 4/4/08 2:37 am
I'll see about making that support group next week.  My husband deploys to Iraq in a few weeks, and we have 2 kids, so the babysitter thing is a little problem for stuff like that once he's gone!  :-( I have no problem jumping through hoops and it taking a while, I've just been through all of this once before.  And I've been trying to get the surgery for about 2 years, so I'm more than ready!  LOL
"Did you see that table full of meals?  I mean men!"
~Pat at KC and the Sunshine Band    
Brandy L.
on 4/4/08 4:24 am - Baudour , Belgium
Once your hubby is deployed all you have to do is register your kids with CYS and its free. Then starting using the Clarkmoor hourly childcare! You will get 16 free hours of daycare each month for each child! Believe me its awesome and I use it all the time. And if you need more than 16 hours its only $2 an hour over it!  Plus you get a free Saturday once a month as well. You can choose between either the 1st or 3rd Saturday of the month. It took me literally 3 months from the orientation class to my surgery. It took me exactly 2 months for my surgery from the time I went to my first class with Meg. But I already knew  I needed the weight management classes so I self-referred that for myself by calling Tricare. (It is the only class that you can self- refer yourself.) And I do know it is already booking out for May, The support group anyone can go to at anytime. And the other 2 classes I literally lucked into cancellations for the class the day after meeting with Meg and the following day after. So I actually finished my Pathway in 1 week. But ...there is a But.. Meg was not very pleased and she did slow me down big time. She made me wait a month for my pysch eval and then my surgery was actually scheduled for March 31st. But I asked to be on the short call list and my surgery was moved up to March 7th. So today is officially 4 weeks out. I feel great and my doctor has released me to do any type of exercise I want.  Just hang in there... it is sooo worth it!!

RNY - 03/07/2007 ;  LBL & BL - 11/7/2008

heyheyhey
on 4/4/08 3:17 am - WA

At least you have taken the 1st step that is good.  It takes a little while but once you go to the 1st pathway class, it is all downhill from there with appts.  There are a lot of hoops and waiting but once it starts happening, it will go by quick. 

You have the 1st pathway class.

Then there are the 5 classes.

Meet with Meg

Psych consult

Meet with Meg.

Then you make a appt with your doc and they set up a surgery date.   According to Meg last week, they are making dates about 6 weeks out from this point.

heyheyhey
on 4/4/08 3:26 am - WA
Also, sign your kids up at the CDC, take deployment orders and they waive the fee and you can get a certain amount of hours of free daycare per month.
Most Active