Comorbidities? (Madigan)

jmmdbk
on 3/31/08 12:02 pm - Allyn, WA

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this.....I have a high BMI of 43.3 but no real diagnosed comorbidities although a do suffer from back pain, knee and ankle pain, and have a hard time sleeping. I have made an appt to talk to my Dr about the weight loss surgery and quite frankly am not willing to hear the word NO. I was just wondering if anyone has had the surgery who mainly had a high BMI? Thanks  Michelle

nancy6
on 3/31/08 12:53 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Michelle - I did not go to Madigan as I'm not military, but I can share with you my experience.  I had a high BMI (I think it was close to 50) and really no comorbidities.  My insurance approved surgery the first time it was submitted.  The back, knee and ankle pain is most likely a comorbidity as would be the sleeping issues.  Do you have swelling in your ankles or legs?  That could be another one.  How about any incontince problems?  If so, there could be another one!  I really don't know how Madigan operates, but there are several people on the Washington board *****cently have had surgery at Madigan so hopefully one of them can give you more insight.  My suggestion would be to just go for it and see what they say!!  Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised!!!

~Nancy~

Brandy L.
on 3/31/08 12:53 pm - Baudour , Belgium
Well I had a starting BMI of about 37.9 and and then a 36.3 when I had my surgery through Madigan. What you listed are good enough to get the surgery. I qualified because of chronic back pain, and numbess in my feet.  You just gotta get the referral from your PCP first. If you have any questions I would be happy to chat more. Just PM me.

RNY - 03/07/2007 ;  LBL & BL - 11/7/2008

jillianD
on 3/31/08 12:56 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Yep me!! Although the joint and back pain are co-morbidities.  Any trouble breathing? Urinary incontinance with laughter and coughing?  Those count too...  Be honest with your Dr Madigan is very proactive with this surgery they realize that health problems will come with high weight and are willing to try to prevent it. Type me anytime you want. There are a lot of us from madigan here.  There is also a support group on thurs evening in the nursing tower at madigan in the Cas__ something room.  Check it out too.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

enchantedelirium
on 4/1/08 1:44 am - Dupont (Ft. Lewis), WA
RNY on 04/14/08 with
im pretty sure tricare requres that you have comorbidites if your BMI is UNDER 40....no question if you are OVER 40. i didnt have anything wrong other than the usual joint pain from all this extra weight! my PCM looked at my records and sent me straight to the surgeon.  my surgery is in 13 days! ((best of luck!))
 surgery date: 14 APRIL 2008 - 276lbs - 5'4" - Dr. Sebesta - Ft. Lewis, WA.
as of 24 OCT 2010 - 137lbs - size 5 - happier than ive ever been in my life!!!
jmmdbk
on 4/1/08 5:36 am - Allyn, WA
Thank you all for the info - I've made my appt to see my PCM on April 10th so we shall see what happens! Thanks Ladies!
jillianD
on 4/1/08 2:23 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hey there you got a great surgeon!!  I know cause he was mine!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

VickiStevens
on 4/1/08 12:37 pm - Tacoma, WA
I don't know about Madigan as I am not military.  But, the medical standard for weight loss surgery is as follows. BMI = 35+ with co-morbidities BMI = 40+ with no co-morbidities Good luck!
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
kimmee2k
on 4/1/08 2:43 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hello  i receive all my care at madigan and i work there as well. I had my bypass there and all my hernias repaired not caused from the bypass a previous car accident. I just had my tt done on the 28th and i am very pleased. take a look at my pics at my profile. good luck Kimmie
Shelley S.
on 4/2/08 12:28 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Kimmie, I just wanted to say you look AMAZING!!!

Most Active