Nyquil...and other cold medicines

Starting Over
on 3/21/08 1:24 am

So........ what have your experiences been with cold medicines? Are there some that work better post op than others for you?

Yesterday, hubby and I ventured to Walgreens and picked up a plethora of cold and sore throat medications. I tried Tylenol Cold & Sore Throat and it worked great. Right before bed I had some Nyquil...and I'm pretty sure I was drunk! While I was drinking it, I immediately felt funny. I'm actually not sure if I was dumping, or if I was drunk...but I felt dizzy, woozy, a little nauseous, then I passed out. This morning, while I was getting ready for work I felt like I had had a hardy night of drinking!lol So, I'll be staying away from Nyquil, but want to know what you take for colds.

Annie B.
on 3/21/08 1:38 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Eek!  Nyquil doesn't sound good.  I haven't tried anything yet...thankfully I don't have a cold to add to my pain lol.

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

lizzybear
on 3/22/08 10:14 am - Olympia, WA
Haven't tried Nyquil and can't remember if it still has alcohol in it - used to, but they might have taken it out by now. My Dr. told me to stick to the Tylenol cold & flu products since they contain acetaminophen and I can't have anything with aspirin or ibuprofen in them.  So far I haven't had any trouble with anything by Tylenol.  Last night I took some Tylenol Cold liquid then went to bed.  Feel lots better already this morning.

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

Holly M.
on 4/22/08 5:53 am

I'VE TAKEN NYQUIL MANY TIMES...NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS

The best way to predict the future is to invent it! ~Alan Kay
Hugs,      
  ~Holly

jillianD
on 4/22/08 8:48 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I think Nyquil  has alchol in it.  I guess you now know how you will be with booze.  I stick with tylenol products.  Although the menthol in the liquid burns in the pouch.  I have taken sudafed too with no problems(the real stuff).
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Most Active