X-Post Un-Noodle Lasagne

Geminidream
on 3/16/08 9:25 am - Spokane, WA
Since I took the time to type all this out for a reply to a message on the bypass board I thought I might as well spread it around elsewhere on OH. It is a great recipe and I hope someone else will like it as much as I do. Post Date: 3/16/08 4:17 pm Last Edit: 3/16/08 4:18 pm This one is a little bit of trouble but well worth it. If you have a craving for lasagne, take the time to make this and then portion it out to freeze individual servings for later. I love to have this when serving a Costco lasagne to company...I get the same yummy taste and I'm not the freak sitting there only eating salad making others feel guilty. Also, when I take this to work for my lunch people always comment about how delicious it smells. It *is* high in sodium, but I don't eat things like this all the time and it is a worthwhile treat. Do yourself a favour and get this cookbook! From page 96 of 'Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery' by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray (Marlowe & Company). Edit: if you really can't stand zucchini (and if you peel the skin and take care to bake it to get rid of the water content you shouldn't taste it anyway...) how about steaming fresh baby spinach. It will take a huge amount and even MORE work but I've done it that way too with the same recipe when I couldn't get my hands on nice-sized zucchini. Plus think of the extra nutrition benefits! "Un-Pasta Lasagna with Tomato Sauce" 1/2 pound large zucchini, sliced vertically 1/4" thick (about 6-8 slices) 1/2 teaspoon salt olive oil cooking spray 1/2 pound low-fat turkey sausages (sweet or hot Italian-style), about 2 1 cup chopped onion 2 garlic cloves, minced 2 tablespoons tomato paste 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained 1/2 cup dry red wiine 1/2 packet artificial sweetener (Splenda or Sweet 'N Low) 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, chopped 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese salt and pepper to taste 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 2. Lay zucchini slices on a double thickness of paper towels, sprinkle with salt, cover with more paper towels, and let stand for 15 minutes. 3. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Lay zucchini slices in 1 layer and bake for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool. 4. Coat bottom of a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Remove sausage meat from casing and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat. Remove from skillet and discard any fat in pan. 5. Re-spray pan and, over medium-hgh heat, brown onion and garlic for 3 minutes. 6. Add tomato paste to onion and cook, stirring, until tomato paste begins to darken, about 1 minute. 7. Add diced tomatoes, wine, sweetener, and basil and bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. 8. In a small bowl, combine mozzarella and ricotta cheeses with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan; stir in cooked sausage. 9. Spoon 1/3 of tomato sauce in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan or casserole dish. Lay 3 or 4 slices of zucchini on top, then layer on half of the cheese-sausage mixture. Repeat layers, ending with sauce layer. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and bake for 40 minutes. 10. Serve and add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 servings. Serving Guidelines: For Lap-Band: Weeks 1-4: Puree 1/4-1/2 cup lasagna till smooth. Weeks 5+: Serve 1/4-1/2 cup lasagna as is. For Bypass: Weeks 1-4: Puree 1/4-1/2 cup lasagna till smooth. Weeks 5+: Serve 1/4-1/2 cup lasagna as is. For BPD-DS: Weeks 1-3: Puree 1/4-1/2 cup lasagne till smooth. Weeks 4+: Serve 1/2-1 cup lasagna as is. For Others: Serve 1 cup lasagna as is. Calories: 301.22, Protein: 24.58g, Fat: 13.06g, Carbohydrates: 19.03g, Cholesterol: 65mg, Fiber: 3.39g, Sodium: 1,739.95mg.

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
Brandy L.
on 3/16/08 12:25 pm - Baudour , Belgium
I ordered this cookbook before I had the surgery and I am soo anxious to try many of these recipes. There are so many great ideas...and even though I am an extremely picky eater I can still adapt a lot of the recipes to fit my taste.  Thanks for posting this. I forgot about this recipe. Brandy

RNY - 03/07/2007 ;  LBL & BL - 11/7/2008

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 3/17/08 3:54 am - WA
This sounds yummy! I had a Lean Cusine Lasagna last week, it was good but home made is always better! Thanks Merrilou!
Most Active