Just getting started

Mom-Burnett
on 3/13/08 7:41 am - WA
Hi everyone, Well I've finally got around to deciding that it's OK for me to have WLS.  I thought I was weak or a whimp or something along those lines and kept dieting and failing which of course just makes you feel more the losser thatn before.  Well enough is enough.  I want to be healthy and enjoy life as much as I can.   To tell you the truth it's all a bit scary. Does anyone have any experience with dealing with Group Health /Options?  I was reading thru my policy and of course right of the bat I find an exclusion for Obesity treatment & treatment for morbid obesity regardless of co-morbidities complications of obesity or any other medical condition! Then theres this little line about (except as set forth of Section blah, blah, blah.  I will try to find out what all this Insurance language really translates too, but I think I'll need a law degree.   If anyone might have experience with this group plan and can give any advice I would be very thankful.   Well I hope I have not stated too much.  I guess I'm just all fired up to start this journey.
lorisb
on 3/13/08 8:59 am - Vancouver, WA
Most people find that they get a better response from either calling the insurance company or talking with their human resources person.  I tried calling my insurance company and, after getting through the phone tree, I finally got some consistent answers.  I didn't have your insurance company and I know the policies are always in flux so calling seems to really be a good first step. Good luck! Lori
lizzybear
on 3/13/08 11:44 am - Olympia, WA
Yep, follow Lori's advice.  I have Uniform Medical, so I can't give you first-hand experiece with GH, but I know two people who have Group Health and are having the surgery.  They both said they didn't understand a word in the policies, so they called and spoke with a real person and everything's gone smoothly for them so far. 

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

PinkFlamingoes
on 3/16/08 3:06 am - Buckley, WA
I know several people who have had surgery through Group Health . I don't think you should have too many problems . OT - Do you live in Burnett ? I live in Buckley .

Mom-Burnett
on 3/17/08 4:14 pm - WA
Thanks for the info about Group Health.  I actually called last Thurs and talked to a very nice women in the Ins Office for Group Health.  She looked at my Ins and verified that there was no coverage.  I asked her about a note in the agreement that looked like it may give me the loop hole, but she verified that our Ins did not have a "binder" for this surgery.  She is going to send me a denial letter, then I will have something to actually appeal  with.  I 'm not giving up, I'm just getting started.   By the way, I do not live in Burnett (I didn't even know there is a town called that!).  I live in Bellevue.
Most Active