Post op and stairs

Shelley S.
on 3/1/08 9:34 pm - Ft Lewis, WA
Ok guys, those of you who live in a house with stairs, were you able to maneuver them well? I have stairs in both my current home and the new one I am moving into, both have carpet on them.  I know I can sleep downstairs if need be, but the bathroom with the shower is also upstairs in both homes.  Did you find them ok to deal with? Can you tell I am down to the wire and worrying about everything now?

VickiStevens
on 3/1/08 11:41 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi Shelley, I have the band not an RNY, but I was able to do stairs without any problem at all.  If your surgery is laproscopic, you should have no issues.  If it is open, it might be tougher, but still doable. Good luck!
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
Shelley S.
on 3/2/08 12:12 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Thanks Vicki, I am supposed to have it laproscopic if all goes well of course.  I guess I can just take it slow and be fine

Susan O.
on 3/2/08 7:45 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Hi Shelly -    Check with Dr. E on the stairs thing. Some of the docs are particular about stairs because the tendency is to use the railing to pull yourself up, and that puts lots of strain on your guts. Take a shower before you leave MAMC, then maybe you can be happy with sponge baths for a few days!.       Don't worry about worrying! It's just your minds way of keeping the stress busy! You'll do great! Just be brave enough to tell your family and friends to GO HOME when you need to rest!    Good Luck!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Shelley S.
on 3/2/08 7:56 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Thank you Susan!  I did talk about stairs when I had my final preop stuff at Madigan and they felt better knowing I had carpet on the stairs.  I wondered if I could take a shower before leaving MAMC, it would probably be much easier than doing it at home.  At my present home I have a separate stand up shower so it's fine, but the new place is a tub/shower combo.  I probably won't be actually spending the night there through until the 10th, so should be fine I suppose. My husband has to work on Thursday, except for when I get to come home and my daughter has school, so my (grown) son would be the only one around and he gets bored easy so he probably wont be there long anyway. On a side note, I remembered how hot Annie got while up there, so I found a very tiny desk fan I'm going to have hubby bring up after I am all settled into my room in case I get hot.  I stay hot most of the time as it is, and I didn't want to chance it.  lol

springjulie
on 3/2/08 10:00 am - WA
Hi Shelly, I have stairs at my house.  My shower is upstairsw/ my bedroom.  I had surgury on Thursday and did not attempt the stairs until Sunday.  I just plain did not have have the strength do to them.  I had my son behind me and daughter in front of me the 1st time.  I did take a shower today after 3 days and omg it felt so good.  You yourself will know whether or not you can handle the stairs.  I have been walking around and felt it was time.  But I will say that after the stairs and shower I did take a good long nap. Julie
Most Active