Caffine??

amynicolelynn
on 2/25/08 9:05 am
OK this is just a question... Would it hurt to have a few sips of coffee?? I know that the nutritionist say no, but I have talked to soooo many people who say the drink soda,coffee, and have done just fine.  I am dying for some coffee!!!  Whats everyone elses intake on this?? Anyone who has had the surgery, and drinks caffine?
Annie B.
on 2/25/08 9:28 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
well, if it's the coffee flavor you're after...why not try de-caf?  it's better for you anyway...the caffiene will help to dehydrate you - and I know getting all your water is difficult anyway!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

amynicolelynn
on 2/25/08 10:08 am
Very true! It is def hard getting water down. I sip all day long and I still feel the dehydration sneeking up behind me. These past couple of days have been hard. I am like dying to eat. It is funny though because it def makes you realize that yu eat cause its an addiction not cause your hungry. I am not even really hungry, but I am wanting to eat. That is what I am working on at this moment. I was just wanting some input on the caffine thing. Thanks!
Susan O.
on 2/25/08 10:23 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Hi!   Yes, I do drink coffee, but only 1 small cup,  3-4 times a week. I try to do decaf if it's available. The reasoning behind no caffeine, is that it can dehydrate you. This may show up first as constipation.  (ugh) So, if you drink it, add extra water. As far as soda is concerned,  it is the carbonation that is the evil-doer! Even carbonated water is a no-no. It may stretch your pouch over time, and none of us wants that! Yes, some still drink it. Their right. Not my choice though!!   On another note, one of my friends was craving coffee so badly - finally had it and couldn't stand the taste. Another one of those post surgical taste bud changes! So who knows? Maybe the thought and the memory will be better than the real thing!  

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

merrillee
on 2/25/08 10:26 am - Seattle, WA
RNY on 12/03/12
Hi there! I definitely drink coffee.....but only a once or twice a week.  My drink of choice is iced tea....sugar free of course.   Merrillee

jillianD
on 2/25/08 10:34 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hi Amy, I think once you are getting all your water in you can have some if you want, I got some decaff and the taste just doesn't do anything for me anymore. LOL Just be careful about the dehydration and if you have some maybe an extra glass of water.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

tiggerfan0464
on 2/25/08 11:20 am - Everett, WA

Im glad that I dont drink and dont have to worry about caffiene. Hope you can survive without caffiene.

Good luck, Kathy

Cynthia H.
on 2/25/08 11:22 am - Renton, WA
The only reason that I know of to not drink caffeine, is that it is an appetite stimulant.  If it makes you more hungry, stop it.  I drink tea, and try to stay with de-caf, but sometimes go for the real thing.

Cindy  

amynicolelynn
on 2/25/08 12:36 pm
Wow, thanks so much for all your input! It is so nice to be able to get all of your opinions. I think  am gonna try and stick to decaf, but mayb a little tiny cup of regular with some extra water of course
springjulie
on 2/25/08 12:52 pm - WA
Amy I am with you.  I am a BIG cofee drinker and this is going to be a BIG challenge for me.  But I figure that if I can give up soda then why not cofee.  My surgury is on Thurs so in same boat for you.  What I did do this week though was smell my bosses soda and helped.  Maybe smelling it will help the craving.
Most Active