My hosp stay

jillianD
on 2/17/08 12:33 pm, edited 2/17/08 12:35 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I've gotten some PM's wanting details so here they are!!  I've added this to my blog too... Surgery morning went so fast, we got to the hosp, of course admissions hadn't sent up my packet, went down to get it came back and they took me right over to the prep area.  Got changed into a hospital gown and bootys and got right over into a bed!  They came real fast after that.  I think god knew I couldn't stand a long wait, got my IV put in signed my paperwork a good dose of fentanyl and off I went!!  I vaguely remember getting into the OR having them tie down my arms and legs and popping a mask on my face then lights out for me.

Next thing I remember being in my room with my hubby and Shelly there and the nurse making me walk around.  I had alchol pads to sniff (they really help the nausea) and my morphine pump.  Shelly told me I was holdin on to that button for dear life!!  After that it was more walking, getting the cath out of my bladder (that was easy and didn't hurt a bit) walkin and a sippin.  Everyone was real nice.  I will tell you to keep up with your pain meds though don't wait till you are in pain to call call as soon as you get a twinge because sometimes it takes a while for them to get it to you.

I went in on wed and was home friday afternoon.  The Dr said I could go thurs but I declined beacuse I has heard the 3rd day was the most painful and wanted to be there so I wouldn't worry.  I'm glad I did.  3rd day is the most painful and I had a real hard time passing gas (finally not a issue)  It was nice to be there and know that it was normal.

I really apprecite the way Madigan has nurses that have gone through the RNY procedure working on the same floor as you.  It was great to have the nurse say that they has been through the same thing and they totally understand how you feel.   Like good faries!!  
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

heyheyhey
on 2/17/08 12:37 pm - WA
Ohhh, thank you for posting your experience!  That is cool about the nurses they have on the unit!
lizzybear
on 2/17/08 1:13 pm - Olympia, WA
I'm glad you had such a good experience.  Having that can help you off to a good start!  Good luck on your journey!

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

Helen_Anne
on 2/17/08 11:44 pm - Bremerton, WA

Jill, I am glad everything went so smoothly and that you could stay an extra day and get the care you needed! Helen

Shelley S.
on 2/18/08 12:58 am - Ft Lewis, WA
I'm glad you posted this girl, I think it helps those about to go through it at Madigan understand exactly what goes on.  I know myself, just being there, I learned a lot and as I've said to you, I feel like my being postponed was a blessing because it allowed me to be there with you and know what to expect.  You are doing awesome girl!

jillianD
on 2/18/08 1:04 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Thanks girl!   There is always a reason for things we might not see it at the time but if you are looking it usually comes to light!!  I was thinking on moving day for you family you might want to come hang out at my house where you can sleep.  I have a recliner....You won't feel like being the director I don't think. LOL  Just a suggestion!

kittykatzmom
on 2/18/08 1:25 am - Mason co., WA
Thanks for your post. It lets all us pre-ops know kinda what to expect. It's also satisfying to know that if you feel the need to can stay an extra day, without feeling awkward about it. Take it easy and get to feeling better real soon.

~Cindy~

jillianD
on 2/18/08 8:09 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I really wasn't an extra day they were trying to let me go home early dr said 2-3 days and they were gonna send me home on 2 and I wanted 3.  If I had had a big surgery before I might have been ready to go home but its all very new to me still.  I was so worried about pain control.  lol

nancy6
on 2/18/08 10:08 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Jill - so glad to hear that everything went so well...  I know what you mean about being thankful they got things moving quickly - it was the same for me!  Thanks for posting this and I look forward to hearing how well things are going as you progress.  Take care!

~Nancy~

Susan O.
on 2/18/08 11:16 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Hi Jill!   Glad to hear you are doing well. Hope you remember meeting Iva and me on Thursday when you were in the hospital! We are looking forward to seeing you at the MAMC support group mtg on Thursday! Hope you will feel up to it! Let me know if you need info.

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Most Active