armygunnyswife
on 2/6/08 12:45 am, edited 2/7/08 12:10 am - Lacey, WA
Hello all, Well I had my surgery on Dec 26th, 2007 and I've lost 31 lbs, also I can't tolerate any meats, is that normal? I have spoke with a few folks and they say yes, also my left side where the JP was burns, is that normal too? They say it's from the nerve ending trying to reattach? Any advice would be helpful, thank you
kittykatzmom
on 2/6/08 1:09 am - Mason co., WA
Well I can't help you much since I am pre-op, but just wanted to say I hope you start feeling better soon,

~Cindy~

Shelley S.
on 2/6/08 1:31 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Congrats on your weight loss!!  I am still preop myself, but wanted to welcome you to the boards!

Annie B.
on 2/6/08 1:33 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Hi!  I am also pre-op...but I have heard that there are a lot of people who cannot tolerate meats of any kind...some who can tolerate anything.   I will be having Dr. Sebesta too... Welcome to OH!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

jillianD
on 2/6/08 3:21 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hey there to you too.  31 lbs it great!!!  Good for you!!!  I'm pre op but from what I have seen sometimes it takes several months for people to tolerate meats.  Are you chopping them very fine and trying them with some kind of liquid or sauce??  Chicken or tuna salad seems to be one of the best things to try first. Make sure the meat is not dry at all.  Are you using protein drinks in the mean time? The burning sounds like nerve endings to me to.   Glad to meet you hope you stick around!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Starting Over
on 2/6/08 3:55 am

I had surgery on 11/12, and I wasn't allowed to try meats for a long time, unless they were pureed. I can now tolerate some sausages, and beef, but I can't take chicken. I can eat only ground chicken, but stuff like baked chicken does not sit well. You're still REALLY early out. Just take your time, and try to slowly re-introduce foods to your pouch. Also, try pureed meats or things like chili or hash to re-introduce meats to your system.

Welcome to the losers bench!

cfidecaro
on 2/6/08 6:53 am - Snohomish, WA

Hello and welcome! Congrats on the 31 pounds I am 6 months post op. I had the burning for about 2 months, but got a little less each day.  As to the meats...I was never a big meat eater to begin with...but I am finally able to tolerate small amounts of chicken...have not tried any others yet. Collette

nancy6
on 2/6/08 12:00 pm - Tacoma, WA
Welcome!  I agree with SeattleChick that you are very early out yet.  I had to be on clear liquids for 4 weeks post op and then move to soft foods (cottage cheese, cheese, eggs, etc.).  I'm almost 9 weeks post-op now and do eat small amounts of meat - but mostly tuna, salmon, canned chicken.  I think it might be pretty early for you to be eating meat unless your puree it.  I can't address the JP issue as I didn't have one... Congrats on the weight loss - you're doing great!!  And again, welcome to the Washington board!!

~Nancy~

donnakay52
on 2/6/08 1:31 pm - Snohomish, WA
I am 5 1/2 months out and still have problems with most meats.  Ground beef is the easiest for me.  I can't do chicken at all.  Very thin sliced deli meat usually works well.  You're still very early out.  I'm sure you'll be able to some meat soon.  Congratulations on your weight loss...31 lbs in the first month is terrific!

heyheyhey
on 2/7/08 12:36 pm - WA
Congrats on the weightloss, I am also preop!
Most Active