Trying to figure out the ropes

Charlotte B.
on 2/2/08 7:14 pm
Hey, anyone I am new to this whole thing and just trying to figure out what to do.  I signed up for one of those tickle factory things but can't seem to get it up right on my profile.  I live in Tacoma and I guess I just missed a get-together in Lakewood.  I just started the whole process of trying for surgery.  I have been to the doctor twice and seen the Nutrition lady once, and even though I am a nurse I have no clue how this all really goes.  Can I just get some insight on how it goes and some clues on the whole protein things because I've only found one that even is tolerable and it has 24grams??????Can they taste like something I want to drink at least(ugghhh!)  The other powders I tried were so nasty looking and OMG to actually drink???!!! And I am suppose to get 130grams a day....HOW??  Okay enough with my protein shake drama.  I could really use any help I can get with the little profile thing and where to find some decent stuff.  And what is Unjury?

Charlotte

lorisb
on 2/2/08 10:52 pm - Vancouver, WA
Sit back, relax, and enjoy!  Have you checked out the main site much?  There are usually tips on how to add things to your profile and signature line.  I just don't care and haven't bothered to pay attention so I can't help you with that. Because I had lap band my protein requirements are probably different than what yours will be if you go with RNY. Be sure to also check out the forums for your specific surgery.  Unjury is a company that makes some pretty decent protein supplements but we all have our own tastes and ways to use the supplements (bandsters are typically told to stick with solid proteins so I'm not personally familiar with their products). Lori
Charlotte B.
on 2/3/08 4:59 pm
Thanks Lori for the info.  I'll work on relaxing LOL, But I had to give up ice cream and I am having serious withdrawals.

Charlotte

lorisb
on 2/3/08 10:10 pm - Vancouver, WA
You can always experiment and see if you can make something you enjoy (like frozen juices if you don't dump after surgery).  I've never tried to freeze a protein drink but I know you can blend them with ice (like the iced drinks Starbucks and other places serve) and make a milkshake-like drink. It actually is fun to experiment but you have to really open your mind (and, unfortunately, be willing to throw out the bad designs).
Terri Z.
on 2/2/08 11:55 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hello, Protein shakes really suck, but I did find one thats awesome and I get it at http://shop.hihealth.com/ this is what it is called Xrated® Complete Whey Protein Triple Chocolate it comes in other flavors but this one is my favorite, and it lasts a long time. I love to make it in milk and then drink it, it sorta tastes like that nestle quick.  So just to go to website and look around, oh my doctor also said this one is also good for us because it mixes well and the protein is really high... Good luck Terri
Charlotte B.
on 2/3/08 5:01 pm
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Charlotte

Shelley S.
on 2/3/08 12:02 am - Ft Lewis, WA

Hi there and welcome!  We're sorry you just missed yesterdays get together, but we have another one this month coming up so maybe you can attend that one As for the protein, keep in mind our taste can change after surgery, so what you like now, you may hate later, and what you dont like now, you may LOVE later.  Most of us don't invest a lot into the powders and such until after surgery because of that.  Personally I have only bought some chicken broth and sugar free jello for after surgery and I am ordering some sample packs of protein for when I am able to experiment with other things. Vitalady might be a good place for you to start with samples.  She will let you try different things until you find something you like. Here is her site  http://www.vitalady.com/index.htm  and she has meetings as well.  I'm uncertain of the dates and times, but either she or someone may come along and be able to answer that specificially for you.

Charlotte B.
on 2/3/08 5:04 pm
So my taste are going to change? that's good to know  because I am the stock up kind of person and would have bought cases of something I like only to later find out it will nasty post op. Thanks!  And yes, I hope to meet you all at the next get together.

Charlotte

kittykatzmom
on 2/3/08 4:44 am - Mason co., WA
Hi and welcome.... I am still working on getting a surgery date, but I'm also just stocking up on smple packs of different proteins since I'm not sure what I will like or dislike after surgery, The one thing I do drink now is kelloggs k 2o protein water, it only has 5g protein but I just add it to my water since I drink water anyways. and I usually do 2-3 bottles a day so that averages 15g aday, hey it all adds up. I look forward to possibly meeting you at the next alkewood get together, just keep checking back here for the next one and where it will be.   Good luck on your new journey.

~Cindy~

Charlotte B.
on 2/3/08 5:11 pm
Thanks, isn't scary that you finally make a decision to change your life and you have to weight for some insurance company to agree with your decision.  But from the looks of this site a lot of people have been successfull at convincing the issurance companies to agree.

Charlotte

Most Active