medication list ?

margaret P.
on 1/31/08 5:25 am - ferndale, WA
Hi everyone Im looking for the medications that we are suppose to not have after gastric bypass can anyone help me out thre is a list but I have lost it ,thanks Margie
Shelley S.
on 1/31/08 5:51 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Here you go

Medications You May Not Take:

There are several non-prescription and prescription medications that you should not take unless you receive permission and instruction from us in how to take them. Among the medications in this category are all arthritis medications, aspirin, and aspirin- containing products, including many cold medications. Alka Seltzer®, BC powders®, Goody powders®, Bufferin®, Ascriptin®, and many other medications that contain aspirin or salicylate compounds are prohibited. These can greatly irritate you stomach pouch and cause a number of serious problems. You should also avoid taking Nuprin®, Advil®, Aleve®, ibuprofen, or other over-the-counter arthritis pain or menstrual cramp medications. If you have any questions about whether a prescription medication or a non prescription medication contains aspirin or other stomach-irritating compounds, check with your doctor or pharmacist. Do not take any of these medications unless you have first spoken with your surgeon or someone from the bariatric surgery team for permission and instructions on how an exception might be made in your case.

Copyright © 2007 University of Florida Revised Thursday, August 09, 2007 Department of Surgery

margaret P.
on 1/31/08 6:00 am - ferndale, WA
Thank you!!        margie
Starting Over
on 1/31/08 7:19 am
Other than the Nsaids your best bet is to call your surgeon. Especially since they all vary on what we can and can't take. As a matter of fact my pcp prescribed some stuff for me last night, and I called my surgeon today just to make sure it's all ok for me to take. Better to be safe than sorry!
Shelley S.
on 1/31/08 7:28 am - Ft Lewis, WA
That's very true as well!

Most Active