Starting over

WannkeChaBe
on 1/22/08 4:06 am - Wenatchee, WA

Hello y'all!! I am in need of some help. I started this journey a few years ago, and allowed myself to get discouraged and to gove up for awhile. I am back on my path and needing guidance.  I have medicare/medicaid for insurance, as I am on disability due to some pretty serious emotional issues such as agoraphobia, panic and anxiety attacks, and severe depression. I had a great PCP, but he went into hostital specialized treatment, and the doc who took over his cases is a little hard to deal with. granted I have only met him once, but it's a first impression thing. Maybe I need to give him a chance, I don't know. Anyway, I need a little help and guidance with approaching him about GBS. I have researched this for years and decided the RNY is the right tool for me. My biggest obstacle is my agoraphobia. I leave the house maybe 3-4 times a month, and then I have a specific routine I follow. I am really looking to connect with someone in my area (Wenatchee Valley), but am 100% open to ANY advice from anyone, anywhere. Thanks in advance! ****indy

jillianD
on 1/22/08 8:14 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hi there I am sorry you lost your PCP thats hard.   As far as your new one goes make a list of the reasons you want this surgery, previous diets, do your best to make him see how badly you want this and that you are willing to do the work for it, what ever he wants you to do.  Show him some of your reaserch and let him know that you are ready to face the mental challenges that come form this surg too. You said you already have depression are you prepared for that to possibly get worse?  Are you seeing a therapist?  A letter from him or her supporting you would probably help alot too. Hope I was able to help a bit....
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Shelley S.
on 1/22/08 9:33 am - Ft Lewis, WA
I think Jillian said about what I would have.  When I went to my PCP, I was just very open and honest with him and just told him why I felt I wanted and needed this surgery, how long I have researched it, etc.  My best advice is just take it one step at a time, and as quickly or slowly as you feel comfortable with.  We are all here for you if you want to talk or vent (((((big hugs)))))

nancy6
on 1/22/08 1:07 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Cindy - I agree with the things and Jill and Shelley posted to you.  It is a big deal to lose your PCP, especially if you felt a good connection there.  Try to give the new one a second chance.  As has been said, write down all your reasons for wanting the surgery, things you've tried in the past, etc.  If you are more comfortable writing, you could even put it in a letter to your PCP so that you would be sure to get all the points covered.  Just know that the people on this site are here for you as support and friends...and we can all use that!!  I wish you all the best as you move forward on this journey - it will be well worth it for you in the end.  Take care!

~Nancy~

lorisb
on 1/22/08 10:12 pm - Vancouver, WA
Cindy, we're all here for you -- whatever you need!  I don't know how many people are actually on here that live in your beautiful neck of the woods.  Do you know what surgeon you may use?  You could check with the people who've had surgery with him/her and see if someone is near you. Although I don't have agoraphobia I do have socialized anxiety and generalized anxiety disorders along with post-traumatic stress disorder.  They aren't fun.  Had I not been a victim of a home invasion robbery when I was younger (thus the PTSD), I could see myself possibly going that direction but, because I no longer feel safe in my home, I don't want to be there, either... I think it is fabulous that you leave the house three or four times a month.  I know that has to be an incredible challenge for you.  Could you afford and would you be comfortable (and is one near you) going to a gym and meeting with a personal trainer?  I have found some incredible, non-judgmental trainers out there (ok, they're not thrilled about the surgery part but, hey, we have our own lives, too). I DO hope someone in your area sees your post, though.  That would be so wonderful for you. I agree that you need the support of your primary care doctor.  If you can't with the one you have now, find another.  I'd give him one more chance, though.  He could have just had an off day but if it continues, definitely find another doctor. In the meantime, come here (and the other boards) for support.  We're here for you (regardless of surgery type)! Lori
Starting Over
on 1/22/08 11:27 pm
I think I did things a little different from what most people have posted. I actually researched and met my surgeon first. After deciding what I wanted to have I THEN spoke to my pcp. He was completely for it, and supported me. However if he would have discouraged it, I just would have found another pcp OR asked my surgeon to recommend a physician. Good Luck!
Most Active