Just had lap band surgery, some questions

seekerpanda
on 1/19/08 1:05 pm
Hi there,  On Tuesday 1-15 I had my surgery.  I am still in a lot of pain on my right side, I am thinking that is where the port is.  I have also not been able to breath deep enough yet.  I am supposed be on clear liquids for another month.  I am going nuts.  I guess I am looking for sympathy but also wanting to know if this is all normal. Thanks.
kittykatzmom
on 1/20/08 1:07 am - Mason co., WA
I'm not familiar with the lap band, you may want to ask this ? on that site, Good luck and I hope you start feeling better.

~Cindy~

chopka
on 1/20/08 4:54 am - Boise, ID
It is common to have more pain where the port is. Mine is on the right side as well. I was banded in Nov and it still causes some minor discomfort at times. It all gets better with time. I was on full liquids for three weeks then pureed foods but I cheated on that one after 1 week. What are you doing for protein? Hope you are doing well soon, Rae Jean
VickiStevens
on 1/20/08 7:29 am - Tacoma, WA
I'm sorry you are in pain.  My port is on the left side though, not the right side.  Your port site will have the largest incision so that is the easy way to tell where your port is.  You will feel the most pain at the port site though as the port is sewn to the muscle. Yes, clear liquids for a month is a must.  It gives your stomach time to adjust to the band and time for the band to firmly adhere to the stomach.  It's hard, but necessary. Good luck!
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
lorisb
on 1/20/08 10:48 am - Vancouver, WA
Ok, let's evaluate this.  The pain on your right side -- is it where your largest incision is?  If so, I'd agree with it most likely being port issues. But I also have some concern because you're saying you're not able to take a very deep breath yet.  That actually sends red flags in the air for me.  Why?  You *may* have pneumonia.  That is something that needs immediate evaluation (at least an immediate phone call to the on call surgeon) and we're not capable of helping you out online. That's probably NOT what's happening but, based on what you're describing, it very well could be.  If it isn't port-related I'd bet that you're having gas pains (or referred pain from the gas).  Time is about the only thing that helps that -- and not too well. As far as clear liquids, each surgeon's office is different.  My advice is to ALWAYS follow your surgeon's orders.  If you don't understand (or if you *think* you need to advance your diet) ASK your surgeon for clarification. Also don't forget to check (or post) on the lap band forum here, too.  Here's a link:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/a,messageboard/boa rd_id,5359/. Unfortunately I'm not going to give you sympathy.  You'll get my understanding but what you're dealing with is normal (including the self-pity) so I'm not going to give it to you.  Now you need to spend the time (especially if you start really getting hungry) evaluating your relationship with food.  Calorically you're getting in what you probably need so you're not going to be very "hungry".  Now you need to determine if you're dealing with time sensors (it's noon and time to eat vs. I haven't eaten all day and I'm hungry) and learn new coping mechanisms. Good luck and know you're not alone! Lori
Amberbear31
on 1/20/08 1:53 pm - Federal Way, WA
Dr. Oh places his ports on the left side.  i also had pain on my right side for a couple weeks after banding... a lot was gas in the intestines and abdominal cavity (i didn't have gas pains up in the shoulders, just in abdomen)
Amber

Band Removed 6/17/08
Sleeve gastrectomy 6/27/11
Discasbabe
on 1/21/08 7:56 am - West Richland, WA
I was banded on 1/11.  My port is on the left side and still a little sore.  I wasn't able to take a deep breath for a while because of a hiatal hernia repair.  I would suggest you call your surgeon and let them know that you are having problems with breathing.  I am also still on clear liquids and going crazy since I have to cook for the rest of the family.  I have 2 1/2 more weeks on clear liquids and then pureed foods for another month.  I am really chomping at the bit to eat but am following the rules.
seekerpanda
on 1/21/08 8:19 am
Thank you all for you responses.  I go in to see my Dr. on Wednesday morning.  I hope he will help me to understand things a little better.  I have to wait until I see him before I go back on the protein drinks and vitamins/minerals.  I am feeling a little bit better.  Still sore but moving a little bit better than before.  Still can wear my bra, that bugs me but I can deal with it.  I wish you all well and success in your journey's.  Panda
Most Active