WHAT PROTEIN SHAKES ARE GOOD??

karen C.
on 1/21/08 7:56 am - Kennewick, WA
Hi, I'm an "oldie but goodie". I hang out mostly on the Over Fifty Forum (that's in years!) though I used to fit the other over 50 (BMI) as well. I noticed you live within a few miles of me. I live in Kennewick. Don't see many posts from our side! Hello.  I love meeting in person people that are going through this life changing journey. I had lap RNY on 2/16/05. I may have to try the banana cream. Sounds yummy tho I usually just stick with chocolate because I love it. Karen C

Karen C

Discasbabe
on 1/21/08 8:06 am - West Richland, WA
Hi Karen - This is definately a ride of my life.  I haven't seen many from this side of the state either on the boards.  I am down a total of 22 lbs since January 1 and was banded on January 11.   I am struggling with wanting to eat and sticking with my clear liquid diet.  I know that it will all be worth it in the end. Laurette B
karen C.
on 1/21/08 8:25 am - Kennewick, WA
Laurette, Is there a local support group for those who have had lap band? I know there was a WLS support group in Richland for a year or so, but I haven't received any notices in several months. Stay with those clear liquids and give yourself time to get healed up before trying new things. Even tho it seems like it the liquid diet won't last forever. Karen C

Karen C

Discasbabe
on 1/21/08 11:14 am - West Richland, WA
Karen,  There is a support group that meets the second thursday of the month at CUP.  The next meeting is February 14.  The meetings are at 7:00 pm.  Dr. Fox's office runs the support group through Greater Columbia Bariatric Surgeons. I am sticking to the clear liquids but it is SO HARD!!  I have taken to draining progresso chicken soup like a can of tuna and eating the broth over a day.  I also found "Better than Bullion" at Walmart that is saving me because I can make that with ho****er at work.  I have several protein shake recipes that are also keeping me from being totally bored.  I go for my first fill on February 21.  Laurette
karen C.
on 1/21/08 8:43 pm - Kennewick, WA
Laurette, Good. I'm glad you have an "in person" support group. I've used OFF as mine most of the time. I had surgery in Kirkland so didn't have a local group. The one that was goig in Richland was inconsistent and now it sounds like it has completely fizzled. Hang in there. Karen

Karen C

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/08 6:30 am - Kennewick, WA
I love love love my Nectar Lemon Tea mixed with Chrystal Light Peach Tea.  I have atleast 2 protein shakes a day and am basically addicted to it.  I've been drinking it for more than 2 years now and it's still my favorite!  :-)
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/25/08 4:21 am, edited 1/25/08 4:26 am - WA
I have a Hot drink every morning mix 1 scoop Champion choc-1/2 scoop Nectar Cappuccino use hot tap water(not too hot)- mix the cappuccino first then add choc-top with cool whip, (I add about 2oz coffee). it is great! "DON"T USE A BLENDER WITH HOT DRINKS"
vitalady
on 1/25/08 4:44 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Any of these are what I use:

1.) Champion ProScore 100 choco + 8 oz water + ice, blended (hand blender or Magic Bullet).
2.) Champion Pure Whey Stack choco + 6-8 oz water, shaken.
3.) IDS vanilla-cinnamon + "glop" of DaVinci sugar free caramel sauce + 8 oz water + ice, blended.
4.) the PWS chco + the van-cin (50/50) in about 10 oz ho****er, stirred or hand blender.

Lately I've been adding a shake of cinnamon to my hot ones since cinnamon fights belly fat.

I always put 1 scoop of UpCal D powder in (500mg calcium citrate, 250 IU of vit D3).

30g protein, less than 3g sugar, under 200 cal each

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

starbucksiren
on 2/14/08 2:51 am

Ladies, (and guys too if you are reading), I have been using Dymatize and MetRX proteins for three years now.  Previous to having LapBand surgery, I worked out 5 days a week with a personal trainer in my home.  He recommended Dymatize which had 31 grams of protein per serving.  It tasted awesome.  They had many other flavors a few years ago, but recently revamped their product line.  I have tried nearly EVERY protein shake out there, and I can tell you that Dymatize is the best tasting, most protein, and least amount of calories or carbs for you.  Currently I am using MetRX Vanilla powder, which I mix with a little OJ, alot of water, milk, and ice and a few strawberries.  It tastes like something from Orange Julius.  I guarantee you can't hate this stuff.  If you blend it for a minute, it becomes thick and if you make two servings of this drink, you will get your 60+ grams of protein per day.  There are 34 grams of protein in this shake.  I can also tell you that if you do not get your protein, that yes, y our hair will fall out.  Mine started too, because I thought that I was "above" having to consume that much protein per day, based on the fact that I trained for a year prior to losing (and gaining it all back), but I had a great strong physique, and rarely got sick.  Well, I am humbled, and now I am a strong advocate of getting the right vitamins, and protein in your daily routine so that the surgery is a success, rather than a regret.  So...wwww.dymatize.com and metRX are good sources of good tasting protein shakes.

Most Active