WHAT PROTEIN SHAKES ARE GOOD??

amynicolelynn
on 1/17/08 6:17 am
OK I ALSO WANT TO GET EVERYONES OPINION ON WHAT PROTEIN SHAKES OUT THERE TASTE HALF WAY GOOD. I HAVE HEARD THAT ALOT OF THEM TASTE LIKE CRAP. IF ANYONE HAS SOME SHAKES THEY WOULD RECCOMEND  I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT!                                                                            THANKS AGAIN! AMY  
podunker
on 1/17/08 11:33 am - Washougal, WA
Personally I don't think good and protein shake can be used in the same sentence.I hate every single one I've ever tried. I have to get my protein from food because the drinks gag me. So good luck finding one you like, there are folks that swear by them, just not me!
jillianD
on 1/17/08 12:18 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
LOL  I think of the shakes like medicine as long as I don't thowup its all right.   GNC has some single serving stuff that you can try like the bullets and I have heard they will take return if you don't like, the comissary has a few different things, trader joes had protein shakes that I find good if a a little sweet.  Trader joes also has greek yogurt and fage yogurt that both have tons pf protein in them (both are yummy too) All the vitamin stores have RTD (ready to drink) or mixable protein.  There is a brand called nectar that is kinda like kool-aid, goes clear in water, lots of diff flavors has a different mouth feel though, just a bit thicker than water.  Kinda like jello before it cools.   Don't buy a lot everyone says their tastes change and what they liked before they gag on after. I figure I can take anything for a few months till I can get most of my protein through food. Good Luck!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Annie B.
on 1/17/08 12:28 pm - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Also...vitalady is a great resource...I guess she'll mix up powders for you to sample...that's a great way to try them!  Also, places like bariatriceating.com have sampler packs you can buy...that way you're just getting a serving of each so you can find out what you like, without spending tons of money on a bunch of big bottles that you might not like.

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

LiseScarlett
on 1/17/08 10:25 pm - Fox Island, WA
I tried out 17 different types of Protein Powders before buying a large container. I ordered the samples from various sources. I finally decided the Unjury Vanilla and Unjury Chocolate taste the best.  I mix them with ice, water, frozen fruit, sugar-free coffee syrups, etc. They blend smooth and taste ok.

Starting Over
on 1/18/08 12:01 am

Since we're all sooooooooo different in our tastes, it's hard to say. When I was pre-op I purchased the sample protein pack from www.bariatriceating.com . It was the best thing I could have done protein-wise. They send you a BUNCH of sample protein powders and ready to drink samples. This way you can see what you like and don't like. I had no idea that there were protein DRINKS as opposed to shakes because of their sample pack! Nectar has some great protein fruit drinks, and a tea. Also, just try GNC or Super Supplements and buy a bunch of singles to try.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/18/08 12:48 am - WA
On February 12th. I am haveing a Support group meeting(in Auburn). We will be doing a taste testing / clothing exchange. Why don't you come try some proteins, I'll bet we can find something you will like or at least not hate!!! Call me if you would like to come and I will give you directions. (253) 939-8865 Merrilou
Annie B.
on 1/18/08 3:35 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Oh that's cool!  Do you do that often? 

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

karen C.
on 1/21/08 6:02 am - Kennewick, WA
I love my Champion Pure Whey Chocolate and still drink one each morning, but. . . . Your taste will change after surgery. I'm sure you've heard that and it was sure true for me. Get some samples from Vitalady.com. I  ordered about 10 single servings and tried them about 3 weeks AFTER my RNY. Then I ordered the 2 I liked best. I now order from: allstarhealth.com  I find their prices and shipping to be the most reasonable.  Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. It has been an incredible journey for me. I had lap RNY on 2/16/05 and have lost 192 lbs to date. I have my life back!  Karen C

Karen C

Discasbabe
on 1/21/08 7:50 am - West Richland, WA
I love the Optimum Nutrition 100% whey.  I have the French Vanilla Creme, Rich Double Chocolate, Vanilla Ice Cream and Banana Cream flavors.  I mix the French Vanilla Creme or Vanilla Ice Cream flavors with SF de-carbonated soda.  The Banana Cream tastes like Banana Pudding when mixed with 4 oz of water and ice.  To mix it up I will do 1 scoop of Banana Cream with the Chocolate for a Chocolate Banana flavor.  Yummy. Optimum Nutrition is the only brand I have found that I like.  I have tried many others and this is the best on the market that I have found.  My trainer turned me on to Optimum Nutrition over  a year ago.  It is really good.
Most Active