Question

sweetkathleen
on 1/17/08 2:50 am - Seattle, WA
Yesterday I went to the book store to buy this book called "Living and eating well after weight loss surgery" I was reading it a bit last night.. There is a list of Do's and Don't and one of the things is Do not drink with food.  I am just wondering what's up with that?  For all my life time I had something to drink with my meals.  What have everyone done with this situation. Thanks much for your help. Kathleen
Starting Over
on 1/17/08 3:26 am
Hi! I don't have that book, but have heard NOTHING bot good things about it. Anyhoo, my surgeon required that his patients not drink liquids 30 -60 minutes before AND after eating. Here's the reason, direct from his diet guidelines: "You should avoid drinking liquids with meals. This is to prevent the liquefying of food in the stomach and the flushing of food from the stomach pouch. If the food leaves the stomach pouch too soon, this can prevent you from feeling full, leading to more frequent eating and excessive calorie intake."
jillianD
on 1/17/08 3:44 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Thats almost exactly what I have learned too!!!!   Good reply.  The only thing different was 15 min before and 30 to 60 min after.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

lorisb
on 1/17/08 6:56 am - Vancouver, WA
The reason also depends on which surgery you have.  With lap band you force the chewed food down into the "old" stomach which continues to digest the food and, because you don't get a "full" signal as soon, you eat more.  So, with lap band, you basically are setting yourself up for taking in more calories than you should or would otherwise. Lori
Most Active