I need help w/a list of items to buy before surgery!

amynicolelynn
on 1/16/08 10:53 am
Hi everybody! Well my surgery date is for Feb.1st, and I just wanted to know what should I buy before I have my big day. What are some things that you could not live w/out after weight loss surgery. Foods, drinks, etc.. I am just trying to prepare,and thought I would ask all of you for your input!
tiggerfan0464
on 1/16/08 11:21 am - Everett, WA
Good question!  I would be interested to know as well since my surgery is on the 28th and want to get the shopping done this weekend.

jillianD
on 1/16/08 11:55 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with

·         Lip balm / chap stick…for the dry lips when you can’t have ice chips

·         Baby wipes or antibacterial wipes to freshen up

·         Trial size baby lotion or favorite lotion

·         Small shampoo and conditioner

·         Body wash

·         Brush, hair ties

·         Toothbrush and paste …the hospital provides some but it tastes horrible

·         Deodorant

·         lotion

·         Insurance card and living will or health care proxy, medication list

·         Your own pillow w/colored case (this will be handy for the ride home too)

·         Loose clothes to wear home and a good pair of non slip sole slip on shoes…you will hate to bend over to put on shoes

·         Camera in case you want to document the journey …this is an optional item

·         Phone numbers in case you want to call family/friends

·         Sanitary napkins (a lot of women will start their cycle right after surgery)

·         Eye covering (if light bothers you), earplugs (if noise bothers you)  I pod!!!

·         Get some type of long wooden spoon or something you can wrap toilet tissue around. If that doesn't work, get a family member to help wipe.

·         A robe and house shoes to walk in the hall after surgery

·         Some reading material like magazines…you won’t get through a book with all the drugs they have you on.

·         Albuterol rescue inhaler

Post-op List for Your Weight Loss Surgery

• Lots of small dishes to eat from

• Replace all the batteries in things you use regularly (TV control, VCR controls, cordless phone, etc)

• Buy yourself a small bag of sugar-free peppermints. These are great if your queasy post-op or peppermint tea.  Hot tea is a great help in the morning to relax your new pouch.

• Small plastic dishes for freezing and or refrigerating left -overs

• Small spoons and forks

• Extra measuring cups and spoons

• Foods that can be eaten post op. Bottled water ,baby apple juice (Dole,),instant breakfast, no sugar added popsicles, jell-o pudding, some type of protein powder, gatorade ,chicken broth, instant mashed potatoes.

• A good strainer to strain the chunks out of soup

• For those of you that don't have a shower seat, see if someone you know has one you can borrow (bleach the thing before using of course though) or purchase one if possible. Make sure if you are borrowing one that it has rubber grips on the feet of it though that are in good shape. You certainly don't want to slip and fall in the shower

• One of those grabbers that you can pick things up off the floor

• Whatever vitamins and supplements you plan on taking

• Protein shakes and shaker cups

• lotion

• Bags of ice…for getting in fluids and making shakes cold

• Mederma or scar gone to heal incisions

• Food processor or magic bullet to blend the food 

• Heating pad

Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

amynicolelynn
on 1/17/08 1:39 am
WOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SO INFORMATIVE LIST! THERE WERE SO MANY THINGS ON HERE I WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF,  BUT THEY TOTALLY MAKE SENSE. I AM SO GLAD I ASKED THIS QUESTION. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!
jillianD
on 1/16/08 11:58 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with

Sorry that was so long but I had to cut and paste and the it wouldn't let me edit.  Top was list to take to the hosp, 2nd half is list for home.  Someone posted it somewhere along the way and I saved it.  Hope it helps.

Annie B.
on 1/17/08 12:05 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Great list!! Thanks for sharing it...gotta start getting my stuff together.  I hate the idea of buying a robe just for a stupid hospital stay...but I guess I should have one! LOL.

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Starting Over
on 1/17/08 12:17 am

Jillian, That was a great list! GREAT list! I had surgery on 11/12 and used alot of those things. I can't stress enough....extra measuring spoons and cups!!!! Also ladies...I had the same issue of buying a robe JUST for one day. I never used a robe at home. I still have my super soft comfy hospital robe and haven't used it since surgery because it's now too big! I think it's a 3 or 4 x. If anyone's interested, I'd be willing to "clothing exchange" it.

Annie B.
on 1/17/08 1:32 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
I'm very interested in the robe...sent you a PM.

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

amynicolelynn
on 1/17/08 1:41 am
WOW, THAT WAS SUCH A GREAT LIST. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
jillianD
on 1/17/08 3:21 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
You are welcome soon to be skinny minnies. 

Most Active