What's wrong with me?

tiggerfan0464
on 1/12/08 1:59 pm - Everett, WA
Hello Everyone, I don't know if it is something that everyone goes thru or is it just me?  My date is for Jan.28th which is 2 weeks away. Monday I start my pre-op diet and this weekend my mind is going all different ways. I had a couple slices of pizza and thinking to myself.....I wont have this for awhile....let me have it for one last time. I feel my mind is out of control.  I am starting to feel afaird...my emotions are going everywhere right now. Please give me some ideas and strength to get thru this. thanks for listening!

Amberbear31
on 1/12/08 2:07 pm - Federal Way, WA
Let it go! We all have our "last hurrahs" of last meals... since you only have tomorrow, choose three meals you want really bad before banding and have them tomorrow... make a thought that as of midnight sunday night, that's it... but enjoy while you can. You can do this! We all go through mourning of food, but as you get closer to banding and your resolve build, you will see the goal and finish line to the losers bench. it's not like you will never have these foods again, you will WANT to make better choices later as the pounds shed and you will think "these smaller jeans feel better than anything could taste"
Amber

Band Removed 6/17/08
Sleeve gastrectomy 6/27/11
Shelley S.
on 1/13/08 12:10 am - Ft Lewis, WA
What she just said is so true.  Although I haven't had my surgery yet, I can relate to you on this one.  Last meal syndrome...I know I am going through it and what I am doing is having that meal but just not gorging on it.  I try and keep my eye on the big prize.  I dont even have a preop diet before surgery, so I am trying to have those last meals before hand and am going to try and do a diet similar to my right out of the hospital diet to get used to it before I go into surgery. You are going to do great and your time is almost here.  These boards here on OH are great for times when I want to eat but know I shouldnt, I just come and chat and take my mind off of it.  Pogo is my second escape, when I'm playing games on there I dont even think of eating hehe. Hang in there girl and know we are all here for you.

tiggerfan0464
on 1/13/08 1:43 am - Everett, WA
Thank you so much for responding. It makes me feel better knowing it just isnt me. I also like to play pogo and yahoo games. I am giving my self until bedtime tonight to have my "last" meal but not going to go over board. Thanks again for listening.

Shell Marr
on 1/13/08 12:29 pm
Lap Band on 06/21/07 with
It's NORMAL.... been there done that go the band....hehehe :) (ya know like the t-shirt saying)...ok moving on... :)  I'm almost 7 months post op and have still not had pizza, nor really wanted it.  Your way of thinking about food will change in time post op....  and really it's not like you CAN'T EVER  have a small taste of the right type of pizza again.... you just can't (physically can't) eat the amount you can now.  It does get easier as time goes by.  Hope that helps...
high351/pre307.5/day of surgery 294.4/dr goal 187/my goal 175  

rocknrobin
on 1/13/08 11:14 pm - Vancouver, WA
I just wanted to say that I think I know what you are going thru. Its not just the last meal thing, it is almost a grieving for the person you have to say goodbye to. You WILL be able to eat good food again, however, you will not be able to stuff yourself and eat compulsively. Yes, that is what we want to stop doing, but it is scary to know that that part of your life is gone. Especially if you have done it for many years. Right before my surgery I thought, OMG, do I really want to do this? Yes, I want to lose weight and stop compulsively eating, but do I really want to give it up? Since surgery there have been several times when I was stressed or whatever and normally I would have gone to the cupboard and found relief there. This time I physically could not do that and had to just endure the stress or whatever until it passed. And guess what? It did pass, and without the food! I might be a little grouchier than normal at times, but physically I am so much healthier. Good luck and let us know how the surgery goes. Robin
"It is not what you are that holds you back, but what you think you are not."
 Start/current/goal
273/198/150
Annie B.
on 1/14/08 2:05 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
I totally relate...I don't even have my surgery date yet..  I eat something, or think of something and say to myself...soon you won't ever get to eat that again!  I made a list of where I want to eat before surgery (Olive Garden, Izzy's, Melting Pot...).  I want to have popcorn and milk duds at the movies once more, and our loaded nachos we make...and there are a couple of other things....none of which I have done yet...but they're on my list. I think it's totally natural...and it's OK. *hugs*

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

nancy6
on 1/15/08 12:13 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Kathy - The feelings you have are very normal - at least they are the same things I was thinking.  Unfortunately, I wasn't as smart as some and I had plenty of "last meals" before I had to start my pre-op diet.  I have to say that even during the 2 week pre-op diet, I still had a roller coaster of emotions.  "Did I do enough research?  Can I make the lifestyle changes?  Have I made the right decision?  Will there be complications?" and on and on the thoughts went.  It helped me to go back to why I made the decision I did and I also depended on my yfaith to help see me through.  My family was very supportive and the information, support and friendships on this site were invaluable.  I wish you peace of mind and a very uneventful surgery and quick recovery!!  Take care....

~Nancy~

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/08 6:14 am - Kennewick, WA

You will be fine, have a slice or two or a whole pizza, since the longer you are out, you probably will be able to eat any kind of pizza, however, you will NEVER be able to eat as much again (without throwing up) so go to Burger King and get that king size and enjoy ... ((smile))

I'm more than two years out now and still have my pizza and burgers once in awhile, however at the most I can only eat 2 slices of pizza  and half a burger with  a few fries before I'm stuffed.  If I eat too much or I don't che my meat up really good it feels stuck and I have to throw up.

I would suggest waiting a year or so before you try anything greasy.   I still get sick if it's too greasy or too sugary, but enjoy my food and still happy with who and what I've accomplished.   The first 3 months are absolutely the hardest.  Getting used to eating less and not being able to eat whatever you want.  As you get into routine though it gets alot easier. Good luck with your surgery and enjoy the results!!!

Most Active