Do things/people smell strange post op?

Starting Over
on 12/29/07 5:19 am
I had surgery on 11/12 and about since around 2 weeks post-op my taste buds started changing (which I expected). However, I have noticed that my sense of smell has drastically changed too! My husband literally smells weird to me now! Sometimes other people smell strange to me too. I had to buy air fresheners and carpet freshener for every room in my house because some cooked foods made me nauseous...but I was not expecting people smells. Am I the only one to experience this? I thought that I would be the one to smell, lol, with ketosis and all. I do sometimes get the death breath thing...but why do OTHER people smell to me? They didn't before! Any ideas?
VickiStevens
on 12/30/07 6:44 am - Tacoma, WA
I have not had that experience, however I have heard of others who have.  I think it will either go away, or you will adjust to it.  hang in there - it's all worth it in the end!
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
lorisb
on 12/30/07 8:36 am - Vancouver, WA
I've heard that this can be a side effect of anesthesia.  Definitely mention this to your surgeon if you haven't already. Lori
Dawn S.
on 12/30/07 11:20 am - Oak Harbor, WA
Hi seattle chick,  I am just under 2 weeks post op and yesterday i went grocery shopping and thought i was going to gag.  The smells were horrible.  No mind you I have a sinsitive nose anyway but this was WOW.  It is the same store i shop at all the time but everything seemed to be hightened.  My dh was very concerned.  then today he deepfried some shrimp and the smell of the deepfryer was horrible.  we had to open everything up just to get the smell out of the house.   I have not experienced the smells from people thank goodness.  I don't know if i could every leave my house...lol.  I sure hope it goes away fast for both of us. dawn

teneasa
on 12/30/07 11:42 am - Spokane, WA
Dawn: I am also two weeks (13 days post op) and i agree, i have been smelling this differently and it is almost nausating.  I have air fresheners through the house and they are automatic... i spent so much money getting these and loving these-- now every time they spray... I gag...  I am not sure what the isue is, but I went grocery shopping two days ag and I thought the produce smells and the meat counters were the worst things i have ever smelled...  I thought it was me.. glad to know that other people having this issue as well. Hopw you are feeling well from you surgery.. Take Care
Teneasa
Lap Rny- December 17, 2007
Highest/Pre-Op/Current/Goal
244/228/209/125-130

[email protected]
www.myspace.com/teneasa

Only 9 more pounds til Onederland!
Dawn S.
on 12/30/07 12:07 pm - Oak Harbor, WA
I am glad it isn't just me too.   I am doing good.  other then having issues getting in my protien.  This is also because of smells and taste...lol.  I never knew I could get more sensitive...lol.  I sure hope this isn't permenent. I also hope you are doing well since your sugery.  Have a great New Years. dawn

Tazzi
on 12/31/07 5:03 am - WA
OMG!  I'm super sensitive to odors and flavors and EVERYTHING has a smell to it!  My surgery was last Thursday and I'm having trouble with everyday smells like shampoo and hand soap, broth smells and tastes greasy (it didn't before) and water even has a taste I don't remember. I can finally keep water down, but that's all.  Can't wait to get over this!
Starting Over
on 12/31/07 6:39 am
I went to a Thai restaurant about a month post-op and had won ton soup...it was sooooooooooooo greasy! Yet, never tasted that way to me before. All of the new tastes and smells are "interesting". Congrats on your recent move to the losers bench!
Amberbear31
on 12/31/07 3:04 pm - Federal Way, WA
my son's new caregiver (the old one broke his shoulder) came friday afternoon for the first time and i could smell B.O.... i let it go because she came in the afternoon and thought she had worked all day before she came to my home... she came back Sat (12 hours to sleep, eat and SHOWER) and it was 3 times worse... i would almost gag whenever i was in the same room or passing through the hall when she was in my son's room... let me tell you, i have been morbidly obese for a long time, but i never EVER had raunchy, nauseating B.O. ... 
Amber

Band Removed 6/17/08
Sleeve gastrectomy 6/27/11
Most Active