Medic alert bracelet

kittykatzmom
on 12/14/07 4:21 am - Mason co., WA
FYI I posted on the main board but am posting here as well.  In case you did not know  you NEED a medic alert bracelet, you can not have an NG tube put in blindly as it may rupture your pouch, I have talk to a few people, and  noticed by the comments on the main board that most do not know about this. It is VERY important, and you can get them on line, walmart can even order them for you at a reasonable cost $15-$20 at walmart, I've seen them as high at $650 for a 14k one on line, that definatly is not in my price range but will be checking out walmarts.

~Cindy~

nancy6
on 12/14/07 6:32 am - Tacoma, WA
Thanks, Cindy!!  I had heard from only a couple people that we should have the medic alert bracelets - it's interesting that so few seem to know it!  Thanks for the clue about ordering at Walmart - that's definitely my preference!!  No $650 medic alert bracelets for me - if I'm going to spend that much money, there'd better be diamonds included!!    Thanks so much for the timely reminder!!  Take care! ~Nancy~
Shelley S.
on 12/14/07 10:15 am - Ft Lewis, WA
I have one, but mine is an add on to the italian charm bracelet I got for being diabetic.  I have a card I will carry in my wallet for the surgery just like I have for my diabetes.  It's really cute if you like those kind of braclets, I paid with shipping and all less than $15 Here is a link to where I got mine, the other charms around it come with it as a set so that it shows it off more than if it were just the red charm... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STR K:MEBTOX:IT&item=200178044484&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI But no matter where you get them, it's important to have something.

lorisb
on 12/14/07 1:06 pm - Vancouver, WA
Actually I know several paramedics who would strongly prefer that we not use them and they make a very valid point.  Plus, if you do chose to have one, they want those hideous ugly ones that won't accidentally be confused for jewelery out in the field during an emergency. Most paramedics are not going to do an NG tube on you -- why would they?  That happens in the hospital.  And, like the paramedics I've talked to about this have said, if it is the difference between SAVING your life vs. saving your pouch, which would you chose?  I'd take my life any day.  A hole in my pouch (or the destruction of my band) that has the potential to be repaired over my death is a pretty strong indicator for me. I do, however, carry the card I received from my surgeon's office with contact information and an x-ray image of my band in my wallet where it could be located by someone with a bit more time on their hands. For what its worth, I also suffer from a serious medical condition that could render me unconscious so I really should be wearing a medic alert for that but I just don't want to.  Consider me stubborn.  But that's a choice I make.  I just don't want the paramedics to have any trouble doing their job if they need to help me in an emergency situation. Lori
LiseScarlett
on 1/9/08 2:57 am - Fox Island, WA
Hi Lori, I read that you had written: "I do, however, carry the card I received from my surgeon's office with contact information and an x-ray image of my band in my wallet where it could be located by someone with a bit more time on their hands." I think I will ask my surgeon if he can provide one of those. What a good idea! Lise'

podunker
on 12/15/07 5:22 am - Washougal, WA
I'm with you Lori, If it's life and death puncture my pouch. I also have to take coumadin and like you should wear a bracelet but don't. They are just a bother and the info is in my wallet. Pretty bracelets are useless and ugly ones are ,well UGLY. I guess you and I will continue to be stubborn.
lorisb
on 12/15/07 11:16 am - Vancouver, WA
  To quote Billy Joel ... And we'll all go down together...
PlicketyCat
on 1/9/08 2:02 am - Kenmore, WA
I couldn't tolerate the bracelet so I ended up getting the neckalce instead. I registered with Medic Alert so I could fully list everything as well as my I.C.E contact info (online). I have two necklaces - one that's nicer/less obvious but still identifiable as medic alert to anyone *****ally looks, and one that is the standard dog-tag type... both have the Medic Alert phone number and my member ID #. Since I have serious drug allergies to most pain medication and anesthesias that could be given to me by paramedics or ER staff before they knew my history, I feel better wearing my alert and just added the RNY to the list of other things. I've even considered getting a small tattoo with the symbol and contact info... just in case. And just so you know... you can bleed to death pretty quickly from an gastric puncture, or get sepsis which could cause you to die even if they do fix whatever else is wrong with you. Don't take chances!

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
kittykatzmom
on 1/11/08 12:42 am - Mason co., WA

Thanks for the extra info. I did not know that with a puncture you could bleed to death that is a scary idea.

~Cindy~

Most Active