Fatty liver

kittykatzmom
on 12/5/07 1:33 am - Mason co., WA
I'm NOT happy. I was told I will probably have surgery around the 1st of Feb by my case manager, Yesterday I went to my 1st dietician appt. and she said I have a fatty liver and that I won't be able to have surgery for about 6 mos. I'm very depressed about it. does it really take that long for the liver to shrink on a real low fat diet or is she just wanting me to see her 6 times, as she said, once a month for 6mos. what can I do to shrink the liver faster. my PCP never said anything about it. I have a family reunion in July and was wanting to shock them all, now that doesnt seem like it will happen either.   SIGH........

~Cindy~

Annie B.
on 12/5/07 1:50 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
How did she determine this?  Did they do some liver tests or an ultrasound? I did a little searching online - and I found some info from the mayo clinic...according the THEM...the way to get rid of the fatty stuff in the liver is by: weightloss & Excercise, diabetes control, cholesterol control and avoiding alcohol.   Here's the article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-di sease/DS00577 I'm sorry she's doing this...ugh!  How frustrating! ~Annie

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

kittykatzmom
on 12/5/07 2:04 am - Mason co., WA
she dtermined this by my liver panel  (blood test) that my PCP ran, but he never said anything about it. My dietician put me on 30 - 40g of fat a day and that still seems like quite a bit, so I'm confused a little about the whole thing, I don't see my PCP for another 3 months so who knows whats going on.

~Cindy~

nancy6
on 12/5/07 3:43 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Cindy - I'm so sorry to hear about this set back you've had.  I don't know much about the fatty liver, but I do know that's why my surgeon requires a 2 week liquid diet before surgery - to shrink the liver so surgery is easier to perform.  However, I would think that a low fat, low carb diet and exercise would be the best way to shrink it.  I would definitely talk more with your primary doc about this.  Don't let it get you down, though!  I had a similar setback - once I got started on this journey, I found out that my insurance required a 6 month physician directed weight loss program before they would consider covering it.  So I had the 6 months of dietitician and doctor visits to go through.  It may not seem like it now, but the time will go by quickly and you'll be getting your surgery date before you know it!!  Hang in there and stay positive!!  ~Nancy~
Cristina130
on 12/5/07 5:58 am - Mukilteo, WA
I wouldn't be happy being told that either.  I'm sorry to hear that you will be going through this.   For me, I went on a high protein, low to no carb diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery to shrink my liver.  I was also told....like someone else mentioned....that it was to help in the laproscopic surgery to make it easier for the tools to be used.   Good luck and hang in there.  It will go by and you will be thankful you did this (it should help your surgery go better). Cristina

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lorisb
on 12/5/07 12:48 pm - Vancouver, WA
No reason to get upset.  You're taking a step in the right direction and that's what matters most.  I have NASH.  I know it.  No one really ever bothered to tell me, either.  The lab results did but I knew what I was looking at.  Of course the most official diagnosis comes from a liver biopsy.  To see how advanced yours is, ask your surgeon to do a biopsy during your surgery.  Then you'll have a definitive answer. It doesn't take all that long for the liver to shrink.  I suspect that your insurance or someone else is requiring the 6 month diet.  It is really no big deal.  You try to do the best you can with the diet (some people have been extremely successful -- especially because they have this wonderful support group to help).  The healthier you are going in to surgery, the better your recovery will be.  Look at it as a life-saving measure NOT something holding you back from having surgery. As far as shrinking the liver faster, well, that's part of the reason so many surgeons have their patients do a liquid diet.  If you wanted to do that for 6 months go for it but I'd hate it.  Verify why she mentioned the six months.  See if it isn't a requirement for something else. And for the reunion -- regardless of how much you weigh, wow them with how healthy you've become! Lori
Terri K.
on 12/19/07 12:53 pm - Vancouver, WA
Hi Cindy.  Boy do I have some recent experience with this!!!!  I had my "surgery" a week ago today, only to wake up and find out that my liver was too big and they couldn't do the surgery.  I've been in a tail spin ever since.  My surgeon says that even a 20 lb. weight loss makes a dramatic difference in your liver.  I've read on the internet that losing 10% of your body weight is a good rule of thumb.  So, while it's a huge drag and frustrating, better than waking up to hearing "this poor girl" and then suffering through everyone's opinions of how/what you should do or what you're doing wrong.
kittykatzmom
on 12/20/07 1:18 am - Mason co., WA
Hey there... Sorry to hear about your surgery thats gotta suck... Well I guess I'm waitibg until april or May and trying to lose 20lbs. mt case manager won't even see me til the dietician signs off so diet AGAIN I will. I've lost 4 lbs in a week but now my daughter is home for the holidays and wants all her favorite foods.  having a real hard time maintaing my 30-40g of fat a day, she leaves next Thurs. so all I can hope is I don't gain while she is here.  Have a great holiday.  

~Cindy~

Most Active