This is what happens if you start snacking.

RNYMom
on 11/27/07 10:51 am - Lacey, WA
Take it from me. . . do not allow yourself to start snacking!! I had RNY gastric bypass 8 years ago.  I made the decision to do it when I turned 42 and was told I had type 2 diabetes.  I did one of those life-expectancy calculation tests while doing some retirement planning, and decided I wanted to live more than the 2 years the test projected.   The surgery saved my life.  I was no longer diabetic, and my sleep apnea was gone.  . .as was the GERD. . .etc. etc. Two years after surgery I had gone from 333 to 133. . .lost 200 pounds!!  But I didn't stay that skinny all that long.  At some point along the way I started snacking. . .first it was just a few M&Ms. . .or some Wheat-Thin crackers. . .only about 5 to 8 little pieces a couple of times here and there.  I don't know when the weight started creeping back on.  It was so slow, I didn't notice it at first.  About 4 years out I had gained probably 60 pounds and stayed there for a long time.  Eventually snacking became my main source of fuel.  Even now, at 7 years out, I cannot eat much by volume.  But I make poor choices, and I've become addicted to Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.  I went up to almost 260.   Last year I worked out, and went down about 30 pounds, but it was too hard to keep up.  So now I'm back to 260 again.  I'm back into OH, as my daughter is going to have WLS surgery now, and I want to support her.  Reading all your posts has really brought back some memories.  I had such an easy time with my surgery and weight loss.  I'm sure that if I had never started snacking (and believe me, my surgeon gave me plenty of warning about not even starting to snack anything). . .I would not have gained so much back.  I am still very happy, and I'm still about 75 pounds lighter than I was pre-op. . .so I'm very glad I had the surgery.  But  really want to share my hard-earned wisdom with those of you who are still losing or in the early maintenance stages.  Take my advice:  do not snack on anything.  Eat well-planned, healthy meals.  

330 / 150 / 255 / 180 (highest / lowest / current / goal)
vitalady
on 11/27/07 11:18 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Are you transected? I mean, back in the dark ages, 2000.

Do you use p[rotein supplements? Tey are a huge, huge help in controlling cravings, snacks and volume eating, of which I the latter.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

AKFlurry
on 11/27/07 11:44 am - Fairbanks, AK
Thank you for your thoughtful post RNYMom.  Even though you have experienced weight gain, you continue to be an inspiration for many.  You can, AND WILL, get back on track...you have the tool on your side and...even though it has been 8 years, you know you can do it......do you go to support group?  If not, I encourage you to do so...go back to your basics....you are addicted to reeces?? I like them too....do a chocolate protein shake and put in a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter...I know it lacks some...but you know what? it's a start and you'll be better for it if you substitute that. Find an exercise program you can love.....walking, yoga, swimming, weights, tai chi...something that ADDRESSES You and your personality..... Best of luck to you..... Sherry (AKFlurry) Fairbanks, AK
Shelley S.
on 11/27/07 1:13 pm - Ft Lewis, WA
Thank you for the heads up, it really does help those of us who are still preup remember to listen to our doctors.

PinkFlamingoes
on 11/27/07 2:22 pm - Buckley, WA
Good advice . I am almost at goal & would have gotten there already if it weren't for snacking . I have no problem during the day , but at night is when the trouble starts . I'm trying really hard , I can see how it could get to be a problem . Kathy

XJudyX
on 11/27/07 11:38 pm - WA
I'm so sorry that you are gaining. That just stinks. This is the reason I chose the DS surgery. I know ME! I know that I really need to have the malabsorption aspect in a greater degree. I know that the DS cures diabetes and that there is less chance for weight gain. I hope your daughter does her homework and learns about all the surgery options before she makes the change. I recommend everyone learning about the DS, especially if you doubt your own ability to keep a regime for any extended length of time. For me, I KNEW that I am unable to remain steadfast in the diet arena so I knew that the DS is for me. I have dieted myself into this situation and knew that trying to avoid foods and limit myself was not going to work LONG TERM even WITH surgery. It would be tragic to me if I were to work so hard and go through so much pain (surgery) and deprive myself to gain it all back. Makes me nuts to think about it! My heart goes out to those who experience it.... I haven't had the surgery yet but I will not accept anything less than the DS either. It comes from knowing myself and accepting my flaws. I probably wouldn't be morbidly obese in the first place had I been able to follow a lifestyle of healthy eating and exercise. Anyway, I'm sympathetic and understand how it can creep up....the few crackers here....a few m&ms there. "Normal" people can and do eat without guilt and fear. I guess I just wanted to experience how it feels to be a normal eater with the DS. Not a free for all, shovel anything I want in and not worry about it.....but be able to have a few m&ms and know that it won't defeat me.
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 11/28/07 4:42 am - WA
Sounds like you need to attend a support group meeting, It might help you get back on track. Good luck and don't give up!!  Merrilou
Most Active