Madigan Hospital wait time?

Kayla M.
on 11/26/07 1:55 am
To the people going through the beginning stages of their WLS quest, how long does it look like its going to take you? I'm moving to WA in February, and am just months away from getting surgery done here.  But since we're moving, I'll be starting from scratch and just want to know how much longer I'm looking at.
"Did you see that table full of meals?  I mean men!"
~Pat at KC and the Sunshine Band    
Shelley S.
on 11/26/07 2:11 am - Ft Lewis, WA
The official time they tell you is anywhere from 3 to 6 months.  The process here is different from other places.  Here you get your initial consult from your PCM to general surgery.  At general surgery you may either meet one on one with your surgeon or in a group setting.  From there, you will go to the first Pathway to Gastric Bypass Surgery class where you will get information on surgery and it's process.  You will get a sheet there with 5 blanks on it, which is where you will have to attend all 6 things required and bring that paper back to your case worker.  After that first Pathway class you are put in for referrals, so you can make the 5 appointments once they are in, usually the next day.  The appointments can be a little trickier to get though, but it can be done rather quickly if you are on top of calling the appointment line.  The 6 appointments are Initial Pathway Class, RGB nutrition class (pre-op****upational therapy, weight management 1 and 2, attend a support group meeting (no appointment necessary on this one they meet once a month at the Nutrition Clinic every Tuesday from 3-4pm).  After the case manager gets this back, all signed off on, she will put you in for the psych evaluation that is required before the next time you see your surgeon.  After all that is done, you will see your surgeon and from there, you should be able to get your date. I know it seems like a lot of information and trouble, but the information at the classes are well worth the wait and all of it can be done in a reasonable amount of time.  Also, tricare now covers lapband as well as the RNY.  They also try and do the RNY laproscopically (sp?) but you go in with the understanding it could be open in the long run. Hope this helped some

Kayla M.
on 11/26/07 2:48 am
Thank you so much for all that information!  I'm confused, LOL! Here the wait list is 6-12 months, minimum, so 3 to 6 months is awesome!! As soon as we're there, I'll be in to see my PCM! Another question, does Madigan have an on-site daycare?
"Did you see that table full of meals?  I mean men!"
~Pat at KC and the Sunshine Band    
Shelley S.
on 11/26/07 4:45 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Yeah I saw my PCM about a month after I got here and got my house all organized and daughter registered in school and such. I'm not sure about daycare at Madigan but I will ask a girl I know who has been here a few years and see what she says.

RNYMom
on 11/27/07 9:33 am - Lacey, WA
Shelly: I really appreciate you giving all the details of what to expect at Madigan.  My daughter just had her appointment with General Surgery, and is 2nd in line on a wait list for the Jan. 7th Pathways class.  She turns 23 in July, and she'll no longer be eligible for TriCare coverage as our dependent. . .so she needs to get this surgery done and get some adequate follow-up appointments in before she's off our insurance. Since you're going through the Pathways process and surgery at Madigan ahead of my daughter, we'd love for you to post more about your experience through it all.  We both have some questions.  My daughter will join the forum soon, no doubt.  She's a busy college student, working full-time too. . .so she hasn't had time to get into this forum yet.   Here's a question:  At what point did you (or will you) talk to someone about what type of surgery is best for you?  I know they're doing LapBand at Madigan starting in late December, and you can also have the RNY open or laproscopically there.  Have you determined what type you'll have? I'd be glad to talk to you or anyone else about my experience, having had open RNY over 7 years ago.

330 / 150 / 255 / 180 (highest / lowest / current / goal)
kittykatzmom
on 11/26/07 2:43 am - Mason co., WA
i am going through Brem Naval hosp. and i started everything the 1st part of Nov. and was told my surgery would be at Madigan around the 1st of Feb. or possibly the end of Jan.  good luck

~Cindy~

Shelley S.
on 11/26/07 4:47 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Wanted to add too, our case manager told us that a couple of the surgeons were over in Iraq and are back now so the surgeries will move along a little faster, which is great news!  Hopefully the other girl here on the board will come along soon and add to this information, she may know the length of time between psych eval, preop appointment with surgeon and the actual day of surgery.

jillianD
on 11/26/07 5:11 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hi everyone. I hope I can answer a few more questions. Madigan doesn't have a daycare but there is on very close by (about a block).
I had my psych eval about 10 days ago did not take much time at all to get in, I went to a civilan, and Meg had the paperwork back from her in 24 hours. I have my surg appt to meet Dr. Egbroten sp?? on the 3rd. I can't wait till I get my actual surg date and ya'll better belive that you will be the among the first to know. Any other questions go ahead and ask, I can't promise I may not reply quick but eventually I will get there.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

MrsLeach06
on 11/26/07 5:54 am, edited 11/26/07 5:55 am - Gig Harbor, WA
RNY on 05/19/08 with
Hi. I just wanted to add in. I am doing my screening process through Naval Hospital Bremerton also. I began all this back in June, 11 classes, 5 appointments with the dietician, 3 hours of physcological test and and evaluation on December 11th. I am READY! I flew through the classes that was the easy part and I only was suppose to that 7 classes but the dietician add 5  which I think were pointless. I still have to do blood work and maybe a sleep study but  I still have hope that all will be done by the end of the December! Good on get through the process fast. They should have some slack seeing as to how you were almost done!
Shelley S.
on 11/26/07 7:48 am - Ft Lewis, WA
There is a girl going through it with me who was at Ft Campbell prior to here and she had all but her psych consult and she still had to start from square one sadly.  But, it's important to get to your PCM as quickly as you can, that way you can get that referral in. Jullian it's good to see you checking in, was thinking about you the other day and if you got your preop surgeon visit scheduled.  From what I gather you should get your date at that appointment, so I'll be crossing my fingers for you that day that you get your new birthday

Most Active