Thinking about it

menjim
on 11/12/07 8:11 am
I am considering gastric bypass surgery.  My doctor has recommended it. I need information.  I am almost 70....take blood pressure and cholestral pills.....in reasonably good health considering....no diabetes.   I don't like the idea of unnecessary surgery.  At my age I wonder if I would have special problems.  I have always thought that surgery is a shock to your system and makes you vulnerable to other problems.  I don't want a sales pitch but an honest pros and cons discussion.   I am in Arizona now and will think and research before returning to Washington.  I am also making a last ditch effort to lose weight.  Hopefully, an "or else" threat will motivate me Any help will be appreciated.  Thank you.
vitalady
on 11/12/07 8:41 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I'm 13 yrs post-op, so I might be biased. There ARE some changes with gastric bypass, of course. And some ppl will experience nutritoin related issues that might have been prevented, if propery supplemented all along.

Probably the worst side effect for me is the hypoglycemia. BUT it does beat the diabetes that was just around the corner for me.

As I'm approaching 60 (well, it's coming at me fast!), I often wonder who will take care of my special nutritonal needs when I become more absent minded than I am, you know?

Perhaps an adjustable band would be helpful for you to consider?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

menjim
on 11/12/07 3:42 pm
Thank you for responding.  Actually I don't know of the side effects.  My doctor didn't give me much info.  Just asked me to think about it and we would discuss it in depth when I return.  I would like to be informed so I can have an honest discussion with her.  Is the biggest problem after surgery diatetic.....meaning you have to be careful what you eat or how much??  After 13 years do you feel comfortable with your body.
vitalady
on 11/13/07 8:14 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
The nutrition, specifically. If you eat sugar or graze anything (even healthy foods), you gain wt. So simple, so learning to read labels is critical.

And supplementation is not very well understood in the wide world of WLS as of yet. This year for example, was the first 4 hour segment devoted to nutrition at the big conference. WLS began in 1954.

So, for us who are no longer having babies and such, the price we pay for insuffient nutritonal guidance is so danged PERMANENT!

Do I feel comfortable with my body. Hmmm., I guess I do claim it as mine, finally. I can eyeball clothes, pretty close. I gained 13# slowly (sugar, eaten in small amounts) and then when I lost it, I call this "gotten my body back", so I must be identifying with it. I've been this size way longer than any other size in my whole life. I was always up and down, so been this size 3-4-5-6-7 are since 1995 now. The shape kinda changes, but I do have some jeans (ok, what's left of them) since 1996. I have never wased anything to death before. I always over or under grew it. Now I finally retired some shirts I loved, but realized you couldn't even tell hat color they were any more!!! I have more to part with, but *I* remember what color they are, and they're al soft from 10,000 washings, so.......

I guess I do, tho I will ALWAYS look at it and see something that needs improvement. It's the American way and we were raised that way since way back when. Check out your old teen mags if you don't believe the "you'll never be good enough" programming. I have butt ruffles, but I suspect my never fat buddies approaching 60 also do, right?

I'd love to pick up my face, maybe tweak some here, or there, some resurfacing or whatever they call that thing they do with your skin, BUT I'd rather have a pink Vespa! Of course, what I have is a grey minivan! LOLOL

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Cristina130
on 11/12/07 1:06 pm - Mukilteo, WA
Hi there.  I may not be able to help much, but I am here for any specific questions you may have.  I was looking into both the gastric bypass and the lap band.  One that I hadn't heard of but am starting to hear about from a great surgeon in the clinic I go to is the sleeve.  (Puget Sound Surgical Center - Dr. Jeffrey Landers - in Edmonds, WA) Not all his information is listed on their website yet because he is fairly new to the clinic - coming from Clevland Clinic (I believe), but I suggest talking with them for information.  They have great resources to get the facts about all the different types of surgeries. This site (OH.com) has a lot of people who have great experience (good/bad) and seem to be very willing to share what they are going through or have gone through. I hope you get the information you are searching for.  By the way, I had the lap band and love it so far.  Just had it "installed" on 11/2/07 and overall (pre-op and post-op) i am down about 20lbs.  Not too shabby a start.   Anyway, good luck.  Let me know if you need anyone to talk to. Cristina

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

menjim
on 11/12/07 3:54 pm

20 lbs sounds great.  I am happy for you. How did you research?  Have there been any studies done about what would be best.  Too bad it isn't listed in Consumer Reports.  My doc seemed to recommend by pass surgery.  I would prefer something not  invasive.  By pass seems kind of drastic that might solve some probs but might create others. Thanks

nancy6
on 11/12/07 11:38 pm - Tacoma, WA
I would suggest that you find a surgeon in your area that does bariatric surgery (lap band and bypass) and attend an orientation.  They should give you lots of information at the orientation and you can research more on the web.  I've also heard of the DS (duodenal switch, I believe) as another alternative.  I think all the surgeries are invasive - but some can be done laporascopically.  You can find quite a bit of info on the internet.  WebMD or www.bariatricedge.com or www.asbs.org are some sites you might want to start with.  But I really think an orientation would be good, too, as you would have an opportunity to ask questions.  The surgeon I'm going to offers an online orientation through www.fhshealth.org and you might want to check that out.  I'm having surgery 11/27 in Federal Way, WA.  Good luck as you look into all your options. ~Nancy~
menjim
on 11/13/07 9:13 am

Thank you very much for the sites.  I will check them out.  I am sure they will be very helpful. 

Will be thinking of you on the 27th.  

Floid

nancy6
on 11/13/07 9:31 am - Tacoma, WA

You're welcome, Floid.  I hope you are able to get some good info on the sites or find others that help you make a decision.  There are lots of things to consider...  Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts on the 27th, too!  ~Nancy~

gaydria
on 11/15/07 2:00 pm - Tacoma, WA
  Hi, menjim:    I had the Proximal gastric bypass, on may 23rd, the reason I chose this one was...1. it was Non-invasive surgery, I have 5 small scars going across my tummy, that they went thru, I was in the hosp. over night, and home the next day by noon, but I had to go on the treadmill, and do some heavy duty tests to make sure my heart could handle the surgery and anestisia...I passed thank goodness...but almost didn't complete the treadmill that was a killer itself...lOL....I didn't want the added stress of having to go in and have a fill all the time with the lap band, and I had heard that it was easier to get infection where they leave the fill tube out...(don't know the right wording for that)... I am sure someone with a lap band can give you all that info....    I am 52 as of July, I weighed 250 when I started, 238 at surgery. today, I am at 195.5....30 pounds in about 3 weeks...   It is a bit of a worry I guess, but shoot by the time I lose my mind I guess it won't matter, to me, right now, It was worth every test, and the life style change....   My doctor is a very good doc, in my opinion...Dr. Shrikanth at St. Francis in Federal way.....but then I had done my research on all the different types of weight loss surgery for 5 years before taking this step....    but in the end after you hear everything good, bad, the decision will be what you think you can handle with your lifestyle. personality, and any special needs....   And if the doc doesn't think its the right surgery for you / or not....after all the tests...He will probably say so...I know doc shrikanth did...he was very open and honest about everything good and bad,     Write down any questions, so you won't forget them...For me this was the best one, The tests were kind of gruelling, as I had been sedentry for a lot of years, no exercise at all...    but definitly go to the orientation they will answer your questions for you, before you even decide which one you think you want or can get...then they will go over that with you and help you find which would work the best for you....    But always Ask a lot of questions, write them down and talk to the docs, nurses, and of course others who have been thru it...    You will probably hear some differences even from people who have had the same surgeries because everyone reacts differently...    For me this was the best decision of my life,...Good luck, Hugs Gaydria
Most Active