I-5 CORRIDOR SUPPORT GROUPS

Starting Over
on 11/8/07 3:36 am
I went to my first support group meeting last night. My surgeon's office holds one once a month. Although this was a little educational, I would like to find something more my "speed". I felt a bit out of place because I was sitting in a room with people 10/20/even 30 years older than me. Other than WLS I don't have mu*****ommon with the people in that group, and although I'll probably continue to go to the meetings (everyone WAS very nice), I'd like to find a group with more people my age range (30). I think it'd just be easier for me to relate. Do you attend WLS support groups through your surgeon's office, or somewhere else? I live in the Seattle area, but would be willing to travel south to Tacoma and as far north as Edmonds.  Any info?
nancy6
on 11/8/07 11:23 am - Tacoma, WA
Michelle of Vitalady (www.vitalady.com) holds a support group at her place, but it's in Puyallup - probably a bit far for you.  I went to it last month and there were a variety of ages there.  Her groups meet the 2nd Tuesday and then the next day which will be next week (11/13 and 11/14) for November.  There is another group that meets in Auburn.  I believe it meets next week on the 13th as well.   I know it's run by a lady who also sells the vitamins, etc.  I'll look for her name and number and post it if I can find it.  I think it's really important to get into a support group - at least for me it is.  I'm scheduled for surgery on 11/27 and feel the support on this site and in the groups is very helpful.  Good luck! Nancy
nancy6
on 11/8/07 11:26 am - Tacoma, WA
OK - I found out more info on the Auburn group.  It's through Enjoy Health www.enjoyhealth.com and is from 6:30-8:00 p.m. next Tuesday.  Check out the website for the location and phone numbers..................Nancy
Starting Over
on 11/8/07 11:31 pm
Thanks Nancy. I didn't know about the Auburn group. I won't be able to make it next Tuesday, because I have surgery on Monday (YAY), but I'll probably pop into the December meeting. Thanks again, and good luck on 11/27!
nancy6
on 11/9/07 11:46 am - Tacoma, WA
Wow - that's great!  I didn't even notice that your surgery is Monday - of course you won't be at the support group on Tuesday!  I want to wish you all the best on Monday and I'm sure everything will go great.  Take care and thoughts and prayers will be with you! Nancy
vitalady
on 11/9/07 11:58 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
If you come to our support group in Puyallup in Dec, it's the only one that is different than the other ones all year.

So, if you decide on that group (there are 3 in a row now), they are Dec 11,12 & then the 13 for bands only (we're just trying this to see if it flies)

Dec is actually a potluck (no milk or sugar, please) and bring copies of your written recipe. And a wrapped white elephant (under $5 or gag gift). WE still do the intro, but it's a time to just hang out with folks during the potluck part and so less structured.

And our mtgs are not so structured, anyway, because they need to be about YOU and ME and Nancy and so on. I've only had 2 "speakers" (as in the focus was on them) in 13 yrs.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 11/15/07 6:45 am - WA
Come see us in December (if Auburn is not to far) we are lookig for ideas to make our group more fun! Our meeting are not sales meetings,  just for information and lots of conversation. (we have all ages at our meetings) . Hope to see you in December. Merrilou
Most Active