What Dr. in Mexico would you use

kaiti1965
on 10/18/07 7:01 am - Wenatchee, WA
What is the Johnson and Johnson Band?  I am not familiar with that.   The problem that I found with staying locally, I still have to go through all the Psych test,etc,  the test here in the state are more expensive.  I dont feel if I am paying cash for something, I need to have a psych test, as I know why I need the surgery.. This isnt being done lightly..... I have thought this out, discussed it with my family and my doctor, I just dont have insurance options.  If I did, I would choose to have a bypass... But I dont.
doggybooty
on 10/18/07 6:09 pm - Aberdeen, WA
The johnson and johnson band is just their version of the lap band.  The inamed band is the one most people are familiar with.   I know hwat you mean about cost.  It is terrible that we have to finance our own surgeries.  I just hope that some day all insurance companies will recognise weight loss surgery for the wonderful tool it is.  Don't EVEN get me started on healthcare reform!! I was really worried about followup and fills, but Dr. Aceves' patient coordinator, Jessica, goes to a doctor in Portland.  Fills aer only $165!  I think I will do okay with aftercare, becasue Dr. Aceves requires ae-mail contact every 10 days for the first 43 months and every month after that for a year.  And who knows, maybe we will start taking Mexican vacations every couple of years and I can drop in for a face-to-face! 
ForestEyes
on 10/18/07 2:43 pm - Seattle, WA
Hi Kaiti.  I am almost 2 1/2 weeks post op.  I had my surgery done by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey Mexico on Oct 2nd.  I was able to schedule my surgery with another women and got the price of $9,500.  The price included all pre op test, hotel and surgery cost.  The only other expense that I had was the flight from Seattle and an extra night at the hotel.  I did the seminar with Dr. Fox as well and figured I'm saving about $4,000 by going to Mexico.  The only issue I'm somewhat having is a lot of American surgeons will not do post op care for those who have had surgery in Mexico.  Some will do fills but if you have a serious issue I suggest you make sure your local hospital is equipped to handle them.  My aunt and a few of her friends have also used Dr. Rumbaut so I felt very comfortable going there.  Plus, he also has the lapband himself.  I went by myself to have the surgery and was very well taken care of and didn't feel like I was going at it alone.  Here's his website if your interested http://www.gastricband.com/.  Also, the hospital it's done at was one of the only hospitals approved to take care of our president while he was there.  I know this is long but I hope I've provided some useful information.  Good luck!
Nic_Nic
on 10/22/07 1:47 pm - puyallup, WA
Dr. Juan Lopez Corvala read my page to get his info... he has done like 3500 bariatric surgeries and 1800 lap band.. he trains dr's here in the states.... i and 3 of my family members have gone to him he is wonderfull!!!!!! we all have had zero problems and are doing great!... $8000.00 my name is Nicole Boyd if you go to them tell them i refered you.. i know that some patients he charges $9000.00 now and i refered my friend and they did her for the $8000.00 so it might help... good luck www.obesitycontrolclinic.com 619-819-5612
Susan H.
on 10/25/07 3:49 am - Sedro Woolley, WA
RNY on 09/25/07 with
Hi Kathy, I used Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for my lap RNY a month ago today!! I have ZERO complaints about him, his staff, the hospital....nothing! In fact, I would say that I got better care there than I have here in the US! Sad...but true! Since I've been back, I have had 3 people (one a friend of my husband) talk with me about my experience and have set their date with Dr. Joya. I suggest you do your homework, ask LOTS of questions, and chose what your heart tells you is right for you. If you have any questions, just PM me. I'd be happy to chat! Good luck! Susan =0)

Susan H.
Start: 322/ Current: 190+ .  7 yr post RNY
***I lost my bookmark to my ticker so it doesn't reflect the correct numbers*** 

Molly Mae
on 10/25/07 11:46 pm - WA
I went to Dr Alejandro Aguirre in Ensenada Mexico. It is in Baja California a pretty short drive from San Diego. The whole thing cost me roughly $10K. I had a great experience with him. Actually the whole trip was pretty great! He did an open RNY on me and I am very happy. Molly
Sarita625
on 10/28/07 3:50 am - Port Townsend, WA
I went to Dr. De La Garza in Monterrey Mexico. He was excellent and has plenty of experience in the field. I had mine in Feb 2006, went with my cousin to get  hers done by him Sept 2007 and a friend at work is having hers done by him in Nov 2007. I had an awesome experience on both the trips I made there, he and his staff are excellent and I would refer anyone to him. His site is www.litenfree.com I paid $8200, my cousin paid $8000 and I don't have the exact amount my co-worker is paying but I know it's close to those figures. I think for a little extra they will book your flight for you and it can be all inclusive. That covers EVERYTHING, including transportation to and from the hospital/airport.
kaiti1965
on 10/28/07 4:12 am - Wenatchee, WA
Gosh you all thank you so much for the feed back on what Mexico Doctors to use, now I just need to figure out which surgery. I know I want it Laproscopic, but do I have a lap band or do I go with the other.   I am still researching info, can all of you tell me why you picked what you did?  and what you learned since then?  Thank you so much, Kathy
Sarita625
on 10/28/07 12:29 pm - Port Townsend, WA
I chose the lap band b/c it seemed like the best thing for me...i needed to lose 130ish pounds and I didn't have any co-morbidities to worry about. I felt it was the best for my age b/c I may still want to have another child and it would accomodate that. I was in no hurry to lose the weight, I just wanted to get healthy and feel good...I felt like the band was the way to go for me, it's definitely a personal choice though. Good luck!
Jennifer W.
on 10/29/07 1:41 pm - Kimberly, OR
Dr. Valencia in Tijuana/Ensenada Mexico. Check out www.alighterme.com for more details. 12.5K

Most Active