What Dr. in Mexico would you use

kaiti1965
on 10/14/07 10:10 am - Wenatchee, WA
Hi folks, I am looking at going to Mexico to have my surgery.   My insurance will not cover Bariatric surgery for any reason, even if you have other conditions.   I was wondering for those of you who have gone to Mexico for this surgery, who did you choose and why?   Thank you, Kathy
Amber S.
on 10/17/07 3:47 am - Tacoma, WA
LunaKoi
on 10/17/07 6:37 am - WA
I went to Dr. Daniel Huacuz in Tijuana and had a good experience.  There are a number of reputable bariatric doctors in Mexico. You might want to start with the Mexico board on this site.
vitalady
on 10/17/07 7:45 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I'm not trying it discourage you from going to Mexico, certainly good docs there!

But call info for your area andlook up Dr Earl Fox. He also does bands, has been around the block a few times (and in fact, did an emergency surgery on my dh in 1995!). Just moved there permanently from the other side of the mtns.

I don't know what arrangements their hospital has, but here, the price was actually a few $$ less than Mexico. (under $13K)

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

kaiti1965
on 10/17/07 9:24 am - Wenatchee, WA
I have sat in on Dr. Fox's seminar's  twice.... But because of cost and lack of insurance, this has become the option for me for now.  My insurance wont cover anything. I had a friend who had Dr. Fox do her surgery and it rain over 20 grand. I just dont have that kind of money. But thank you for the suggestion. Kathy
vitalady
on 10/17/07 9:43 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
The last I heard, Dr Rumbaut (the best in Mexico, as far as I'm concerned) was $13,500 vs $12,800 for here! But I don't know the price on the east side.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Dontondan
on 10/17/07 10:05 am - Bremerton, WA
I am having my surgery done in December by Dr Ortiz in Tijuana.  I have heard such good things of him and the clinic there and some of my friends recently had it done there and they are professionals (nurses) and said it was a wonderful experience with no regrets.  I also do not have the support of insurance and have to pay for it myself and this was my best option where I feel confident that it will be done by the best! Donna
clarue
on 10/26/07 12:35 pm - WA
Hi Donna I live in Monroe...and am having my surgery with Dr. Ortiz on Thursday next week....it was delayed a week due to the fires. I know exactly what you mean about the pre op diet...i have not done so well after the delay, prior to that I had lost ten pounds. I haven't gained it back...but I am worried about sticking to it over the weekend. I have the urge to have one last of everything.....? Chris
Dontondan
on 10/26/07 3:26 pm - Bremerton, WA

Dear Chris, Well, good luck to you on your trip to Mexico, I wish that I didn't have to wait so long.  I heard about the fires down there and a lot of surgeries cancelled, I bet you were disappointed.   I know the feeling of wanting to have things......just one last time.....I have been using that one to justify my cheating ways too!  Keep me informed on how things go and if you have any tips for me after your experience.  Thursday will be here in a flash!

doggybooty
on 10/18/07 6:07 am - Aberdeen, WA
Hi Kathy- I am set to have surgery in Mexico on November 2!  I just made the appointment yesterday.  I am in the same boat as you-no insurance for wls for ANY reason--and I work at a hospital!   I am going to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali.  The patient coordinator is Jessica and she lives in Oregon.  He is running a special right now for $1500 off any surgery, and if you get the johnson and johnson band you get anothe $500 off, so surgery costs $7250.   The hospital in Mexicali sounds great.  I have read a lot of good things about it and about Dr. Aceves.  Good luck to you and maybe I'll see you in Mexico! Sheri
Most Active