Hair loss

Michele G.
on 10/2/07 1:26 am - WA

OK,  That's it!!!! I have had it! Every day in the shower there in enough hair on the floor to make a dog! Any ideas????? I'm taking vitamins and protein everyday. I am 5 months post-op.  Help!!!!! Michele

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 10/2/07 7:01 am - WA
With me I needed more protein, call your Dr. and ask what he thinks. I am 5 years out and the hair loss stopped after a few months! Hang in there!
vitalady
on 10/2/07 9:51 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Right on Schedule. 4-6 months. I broke my arm in May and had fixit surgery in Jun and my floor, shower & brush are full, full, full. I have taken 180g protein before (well, since 1999) and after, more if I can. That's in supplement, plus whatever I eat.

Since my WLS 13 yrs ago, I've had several surgeries, some WLS related, some not. Have lost hair after some, not all. But right at 4 months. I was sure THIS time it'sway more than before, but it stops. I hover over my labs, so levels are stellar, but I take Haii, Skin, Nails and have since I was 4 months out. It didn't prevent the post-surgical loss, but at least the hair I have is better than what I had previously.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Nic_Nic
on 10/7/07 6:08 am, edited 10/7/07 6:08 am - puyallup, WA
take biotin!!! and zinc.. i was having handfulls come out in the shower and when i brushed my hair.. after 2 weeks of taking biotin and zinc it stopped completely!!!!! actually less falls out now than b4 i was banded yay!!! and im having a ton of regroth.. it will come back i promise!!!
Michele G.
on 10/8/07 8:23 am - WA
What is biotin? Where can I get it? Thanks
Shell Marr
on 10/8/07 8:57 am
Lap Band on 06/21/07 with
Biotin helps with hair, nails, & skin.... I don't recall the brand, but I got mine at Walmart for about $4.  I can look tonight at my bottle.... I also got them at GNC the 1st time....but the pills were too big and they cost about 4x as much there.  I take one a day...... Do a search on drugstore.com also, then you can see more about it there.
high351/pre307.5/day of surgery 294.4/dr goal 187/my goal 175  

Michele G.
on 10/8/07 10:03 am - WA
Thank you so much... I'll check it out.
Shell Marr
on 10/8/07 3:03 am
Lap Band on 06/21/07 with
Right about my 38 pounds down mark... I started loosing more and more... but it IS re-growing too.... I've been taking Biotin since I started my pre-op diet.  It was my understand as a Lap Band patient that it would start to happen around 40 pounds down, so I think I was right on track, but I was told that it will grow back...and it is...
high351/pre307.5/day of surgery 294.4/dr goal 187/my goal 175  

Misty M.
on 10/18/07 9:36 am - Renton, WA
i had the same problem. but at about 8-9 months out, my hair started growing back in, thicker and much more pretty. just remember, lots of vit. B. i took biotin, b sublingual, b-12, and b complex. im vain, but my hair and nails are fantastic at 14 months out!! Good luck, and remember, this will pass!

Misty        

mommyslittlemonster
on 11/12/07 7:49 am - Stanwood, WA
Yep yep yep! I had the longest, thickest hair ever. I used to have it thinned! About 3-4 months post-op it all started coming out in the shower and when I brushed my hair. I was crushed after a while. I could see my scalp. It stopped probably a few months later. Definitely kick up the protein intake though.
110 pounds down and still going!

Most Active