Ins Approved and Freaking Out

NinaLynn
on 9/17/07 7:52 am
Okay, I just found out I was approved for Lap RNY.  I am freaking out about whether it is the right decision, whether I should have requested the band instead, whether I should not get surgery at all and just lose the weight already... I'm scared, and scared not to.  Any advice?  My insurance does not require a psychological review, but maybe I should get one anyway?  Is there a therapist that specializes in this type of thing?

Diana

TinaQ.
on 9/17/07 7:54 am - Puyallup, WA
It's real now is all!  You have to make the decision with your surgeon as to which surgery is best for you!  It is a difficult one, that's for sure! Good luck with your decision and CONGRATS on getting approved.  As someone who had to pay for it themselves, you have just been greatly blessed!
Tina
Getting closer to a healthy BMI!!  WOO HOO!

slugworth
on 9/17/07 1:45 pm - Stanwood, WA
If you could "lose the weight already" you would have wouldn't you? If it was that easy then we wouldn't need wls. Right?
corapatterson
on 9/18/07 5:30 am - Lewiston, ID
Hi, I know and understand exactly what you are saying.  I did have psychological evaluation and they said I was of sound mind and still had the exact same reaction when my insurance approved me and they gave me a date!  I am not sure how long you have until surgery, but for me when the day got here I was comfortable with my decision.  I hope that is true for you.  I had my surgery Sept 10.  I am feeling fine.  On the full liquid diet of course and pounds are falling off.  Just know that you are experiencing nothing different than some of the rest of us are as well.  It is a big step, and yes we second guess our decisions.  I did a lot of praying to make it to the decision  and then prayed when I got the "jitters" for the strength to continue the right path.  I first looked at Lap band but chose the RNY because my doctor strongly advised that option for me. 
Geminidream
on 9/18/07 8:55 am - Spokane, WA

if your insurance doesn't require one but will pay for it then go ahead.  If they don't pay for it, spend your money on a dietician/nutritionist instead.  I think that would be money far better spent.  Obviously many, many of us who needed WLS have complex emotional issues that affects our eating but one evaluation with a psych. isn't going to be as beneficial as working with a nut who specializes in bariatric eating issues.    CONGRATULATIONS on your approval!!!  Woohoo!!

Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
RitaT
on 9/24/07 5:34 am - Kent, WA
HI! I know what you are going through also. I have been very blessed as to have insurance pay for my lab band and then the removal and the by-pass. I received my band three years ago and everything was fine. I was only off of work one day. I lost 97 pounds over the next two years, however; I am the one precent that develops sever acid reflux. I have taken meds for two years and still couldn't sleep laying down. I had to sit up right on my sofa to rest at all and would still wak up sick (to say the least). On August 16 my insurance approved the removal and the new proceedure. I went in for blood work the same day, pre-op the next (which was a friday) and had it done on the 20th. Even in recovery I was laying there freaking out thinking this can't be changed. I had one psych. visit and it really didn't prepare me for any of it. They only wanted to make sure I knew this wasn't going to be a fix all for my life. DUH!!  The only thing I can say is from what I've been through and I'll say this I WOULD do it all again even with the trouble I've had. There is no feeling like being able to bend over and tie my shoes without not having to get up and take a breath inbetween or getting dizzy. I am off all meds for acid reflux and in no pain. If I would have know that the band would have had to be reversed for me I would have had the by-pass first but remember I was in the one precent, that don't mean you will be or that I regret it. Good luck you are in my prayers.
Amber S.
on 10/17/07 3:46 am - Tacoma, WA
Most Active