my poor tummy-sushi bad-protein enemy

girlwcurl
on 9/1/07 9:35 am, edited 9/1/07 9:38 am - spokane, WA
i am an idiot (dont argue that point because this was really bad) i ate sushi- i puked for the better part of an hour- i am now wondering if i will ever be able to enjoy sushi again- i am thinking maybe i wont have the stomach enzymes to digest raw fish- anyone else have this trouble- still cant get my protein down too well - the sweet drinks and shakes make me gag and give me the foamies- tooooooo sweet- so i have taken to stiring protein powder into broth- the best i can do right now- any suggestions for foods that wont anger my pouch would be appreciated-im 2 months out
vitalady
on 9/1/07 11:32 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I couldn't eat rice for 5 yrs! Maybe it was the rice?

Well, in essence, the food never reaches the actual vat of acids and enzymes in your stomach, sooooo, you are relying on saliva to break it down.

On protein drinks, try maybe mixing half of your favorite with half non-flavor? Like "natural" or "Plain". So, if you like chocolate, but it's too sweet (the broken tongue period, I call it), try "cutting" it with a "nothing" flavor. Still get the protein, but not the sweet?

We did clears for 4 weeks, soft for 2, so I can't give you many ideas.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Suzanne_G
on 9/2/07 11:44 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
Could be the raw fish.. could be the rice..  could be with finger foods, we dont chew as well as we should. try them separately. (also, ive heard some say the seaweed wrap bothers them) Better luck next time! suzanne
Geminidream
on 9/4/07 1:18 pm - Spokane, WA
At your stage I was still dealing with the last of my stricture treatments so I wasn't eating real solid-y foods.  The things that pleased me most were the fat-free ricotta fixups like ff ricotta topped w/spaghetti or pizza sauce or sf jams and jellies.  Also a fav. for a long time was water-packed tuna that was run through the food processor to smooth it out along with a whole lot of salsa.  Tasty and no added fat!  Ok, I'll admit it looked like cat food but it went down easily and gave me the great satisfaction of low-calories and high protein.   How do you do with scrambled eggs?  Cottage cheese?  Canned chili or refried beans?  Those are also good soft food choices.   The eggs took a long time to work but as long as I add some kind of sauce to them like salsa, ff sour cream or some low-fat cheese then they are ok.   How about taking some moist chicken meat and running it through the food processor to really chop it well and then adding a sauce on top?  Low carb bbq sauce, Arby's sauce, ff sour cream, ff ranch dressing...those all dress it up good and help it slide down without clumping.   Would any of those work? Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
girlwcurl
on 9/5/07 3:29 pm - spokane, WA
i can hardly stomach any of the foods you mentioned- makes me nauseated- i will try the ricotta thing though- that sounds like a good option- everything else feels too heavy- i finally figured out how to make a protein drink i can stomach- low carb milk-sf choc syrup and protein powder
Most Active