Dr. Jeffrey Hunter @ Virginia Mason

lizzybear
on 8/29/07 1:18 pm - Olympia, WA
I would like any info anyone has on how Dr. Hunter, his staff and the hospital are for the RNY and for follow-up care.  He said we're going to go with the laparoscopic RNY unless we get started and it becomes necessary to switch to an open.  Any experiences anyone's had, good or bad, would be a great help.  I'm just under 2 months out, but already having a day of excitement, followed by a day of being terrified and back and forth, so figured getting more info would be a good idea. Thanks!

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

jarrah
on 8/29/07 4:41 pm - Duvall, WA

I went to see Dr. Hunter for a Lap Band and I had such a horrible experience with the level of care his support staff "provided" during my pre-op stages I left absolutely hysterical. I wouldn't trust anyone in that office to call 911 if I had a bleeding head wound. In the time between my last appointment with that office and the time of my next scheduled appointment with Dr. Hunters office, I managed to find another(better) clinic, they held my hand through all the pre-op steps and had surgery. They called me during my post-op recovery to "reschedule" that pre-op appointment despite me canceling it 3 weeks back. Running not walking away from there was the best thing I ever did.

Lap Band | 08/08/2007 | Dr. Montgomery & NWWLS
http://www.jarrahtherockstar.com

Triumphantc1
on 8/30/07 2:09 pm - Tacoma, WA
My experience and opinion is that they are a wonderful group to work with. Unfortunately , because of them being the only group in the state of Washington that takes Medicare it can be quite demanding for that clientele. They are professional and if you adamantly state what you want it will be delievered. A person has to be mature and persistent in obtaining what you need . Dr. Hunter performed my gallbladder surgery in 1997 and I had or have had any problem. On September 4, I will be undergoing my RNY proximal. Dr.Hunter is very direct and knowledgeable. If an individual does the proper research and ask the proper questions the confidence and security will be greater. Your choice.
mspring64
on 9/11/07 7:11 am, edited 9/11/07 7:13 am - federal way, WA
I also had a good experience with Dr. Hunter and his staff.  I had a RNY in Dec 22, 2005.  I had a problem with my insurance and had to have the operation before the end of the year.  My employer had decided to drop gastric bypass and it would no longer be covered starting on Jan 1, 06.  So I was in a time crunch.  Dr. Hunter's nurse, Steve and PA Kat did everything possible to get me approved and "fit" me into Dr. Hunter's schedule before the holidays.  When I went to my pre-op apt with Kat, I felt she was very knowledgable and answered my questions completely.  I had researched before my apt, but still had questions.  I knew I was ready to change my life and had no doubts.  I was very impressed with the care I received at VM.  The anesthesiologist stayed with me before surgery and took me to the OR.  I have had previous surgeries and always experienced nausea and vomiting afterwards.  I let them know and I did not have one moment of nausea or vomiting during my hospitalization.  Since my stay was during the holiday, there was a shortage of nurses on the floor.  Needless to say, I was consistantly asked if I needed pain meds and never once felt neglected or ignored.  The hospital is an older hospital but the care I received was very good.  I am a critical care RN and know how difficult it can be when there is a shortage of nurses.  Dr. Hunter has a support group on the last Wednesday of every month at 6pm.  It is run by Steve RN and Kat PA.  There are guest speakers, i. e., nutritionalist, plastice surgeons, psycologists, ect. As well as the educational information given, there is also the support and experiences of the other patients.  To me this is very helpful and keeps me motivated.  I have never had any regrets about my decision to have this surgery or picking Dr. Hunter as my surgeon.  I never had any serious complications and have lost a total of 157 pounds.  Good luck on your journey!
Triumphantc1
on 9/11/07 9:28 am - Tacoma, WA
Thank you so very much. I just had my RNY on 9/4/07 by Dr. Jeffrey Hunter and it is just fabulous. I am on my 7th day out and have lost 13.5 pounds. To God be the Glory!!!!
lizzybear
on 9/24/07 12:42 pm - Olympia, WA
Thank you so much for your information.  I, too, have had the problem of nausea of vomiting everytime I've had anesthesia for surgery.  The last time I had a procedure I mentioned this and the anesthesiologist said that he could help with that by using different anesthesia.  It worked perfectly, no nausea or vomiting and I was able to wake up fully and be released much earlier than ever before.  I'll be sure to tell the anesthesiologist about this for my RNY.  You reminded me - I need to find out if there's a support group meeting this week - it's the last Wednesday of this month and the last one before my surgery date!! Thanks again!

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

Most Active