new insurance covers treatment!!

shenacat
on 8/16/07 12:44 am - Puyallup, WA
Hi all! I'm so excited!!  My husband is starting a new job today and the insurance we're getting through his job is the best I've ever seen. It also covers obesity treatment and surgery with BMI over 40!  I'm totally stoked! I am beside myself with happiness! The insurance is an east-coast based BlueCross/BlueShield national thing, so it bypasses the standard icky Washington based companies which cover like NOTHING. It also covers mental health stuff like counseling ~ so if the struggle gets too much or impacts our relationship we can take care of it... Now I just have to figure out what surgical option to pursue.  I'm waffling back and forth between the Lap Band and thinking about the RNY... I don't like the malabsorption problems w/RNY but I worry that the Lap Band won't work effectively enough...
A H.
on 8/16/07 1:15 am
Revision on 02/09/12
Congratulations! That is really awesome. I know I was super excited to find out my insurance would cover it too when I started my new job.

I initially began thinking about the band, then started to waffle towards RNY, and now am back to the band.  Either surgery would be great, there are so many wonderful surgeons in this area to choose from.  I went back to my original decision to go with the band for a variety of reasons, a few of which are: I want to have kids in a couple years, so I'm worried about malabsorption. I just don't like the idea of having my stomach cut in half. Shorter recovery time, and less expensive. My insurance only covers up to $20,000 which is fine for lap band, but I think RNY can cost in the neighborhood of $30-40K. I just don't have the funds to make up the difference.

I have a friend who had RNY in 2004, and she looks great but she still suffers from intestinal problems, terrible gas and is in the hospital a lot. I know other people do not have the same issues, but we are both young (low 30s) and she says if she could do it over again she'd get the band.

I'm not trying to convince you of the band, because like I say, it's totally personal and both surgeries work wonders, just in slightly different ways.  As you do your research, it will probably become clear to you which way to go.  With RNY you can do the procedure and walk away and live your life for the most part. The band requires a pretty rigorous aftercare program and you have to be stricter with yourself and your diet.

Since you are in Puyallup and you have Blue Cross, check into Doctors Oh and Srikanth. They operate out of St. Francis down in Federal Way. Both are wonderful, highly experienced surgeons, they perform all varieties of surgeries, and their pre-op and aftercare programs are excellent. If you go to one of their free seminars, they will talk about all of the different types of procedures, and that might help you make up your mind.

Good luck, and just remember, the biggest decision is having the surgery at all.. now you can work out the details.

shenacat
on 8/18/07 11:50 am - Puyallup, WA
I have yet to figure out my insurance requirements or how much they'll cover, etc. The letter in our book says that it was an amendment to the policy. It states that the surgical procedure must be recognized by the NIH as effective for long-term reversal of morbid obesity. It is "subject to the same terms and conditions as other Medically necessary surgical procedures". I have heard other people recommend Dr. Oh. I will definitely look into him.
Geminidream
on 8/17/07 2:18 pm - Spokane, WA

Congratulations on the better insurance!!!  While you are researching each surgery option, start logging your food.  Don't lay any guilt trips on yourself or police yourself.  Just write down what you eat and if you think of it, is it related to emotional eating.  Try to do this over as long a period as you can...it will be so helpful in your surgery choice.  Had I done this with my first wls I'd have known that I was getting the wrong one.  I don't regret it, but regret the years I wasted and the damage I did to my health while I could have been getting healthier instead.   Every surgery is good and can be very successful if it is the right fit for your needs and lifestyle so don't make any hasty choices or let anybody's arguments sway you.  Learn as much as you can from sound medical information (not just anecdotal stories or people's opinions) and really search your heart.  You deserve to make the very best choice for yourself, nothing can ever replace your good health. You are on such a wonderful, exciting path now!!! Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
shenacat
on 8/18/07 11:51 am - Puyallup, WA
Do you know where I can find some more detailed information on how to choose which surgery is best for your needs?
Geminidream
on 8/19/07 11:15 am - Spokane, WA
Go to the main menu here at OH and start looking at the OH info on each of the different types of surgeries.  There are diagrams, explanations and very helpful faq's for reading.  From there then I'd start picking up some reading material.  A good first one is 'Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies'.  From there you should begin to have an idea what other things you should be considering as for how to make your decision.  Attending a support group is also an excellent idea!   Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
vitalady
on 8/18/07 9:53 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Oh, drat. Since you're in Puyallup, we had our 2 support groups meetings this month, bands, VBG's, RNY, "still thinking", brand new, longer term.......

However, you can always make an appt with me to chat and maybe catch some other ppl as they drift through here, as well.

I'm not far from Costco on south hill

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

shenacat
on 8/18/07 11:53 am - Puyallup, WA
We are just off the canyon rd. exit.  I would be glad to catch a support meeting some time. I have 2 little kids so finding out way in advance is definitely a good idea. :)
vitalady
on 8/19/07 9:48 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I am also just off Canyon exit. LOL

I can't accomodate small kids at groups, since I have no place for them.

But you are welcome with a support person.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

shenacat
on 8/21/07 7:06 am - Puyallup, WA
Thank you all for responding.. as I'm learning more I'm leaning towards RNY. I'll have to see how it goes as I start meeting with doctors and whatnot.
Most Active