Jitters

corapatterson
on 8/5/07 7:15 am - Lewiston, ID
Hi All, Does anyone else get the jitters along with excitement prior to surgery?  I have a date of Sept 10th.  I thought this date would never come!!!  I am excited, but having some negative thoughts coming into play as well......such as "am I doing the right thing"?  I know I am and that it will help my quality of life.  Is this normal and does everyone go through this?  I have never had a elective surgery .... they have all been had to do ones.  This whole thing has been quite a ride already. 
mlchristie69
on 8/5/07 12:26 pm - Spokane, WA

Cora, My date is August 20th and I have had those feelings.  Is this the right thing for me?  I'm I gonna be a successful?  etc...  I have researched this for 2 years now and know that it is the right choice for me but, needless to say that, I am still really emotional right now.  A roller coaster ride it has been and I am so ready to jump onto the loser's bench.  Keep us posted as to how you are doing after surgery.  Take care and know you are not alone. Hugs,   Michelle

We all came on different ships but, were in the same boat now.   Dr. Martin Luther King, Hugs, Michelle
DOS: 274 pounds (08/21/07)
Current: 176 pounds (08/28/09)
Goal: 150 pounds

corapatterson
on 8/7/07 1:29 am - Lewiston, ID
So glad to hear someone else is asking themself the same questions.  I too have done years of homework regarding this procedure.  Yes, I know it is the right choice and am excited to move forward finally, BUT then those question come to haunt you.  What was being done 20 years ago is so far from the results of today.  I think a lot of my fears are based on bad results from years ago.  The negative always sticks with you longer than the positive regardless of the subject as well. Keep us posted on how you do. Glad to hear you have such a short time left to wait.  The waiting is soooooooo hard.  Hearing from those who have made it to the top of the moutain makes the unkown much easier.
Jeffrey Welch
on 8/11/07 9:35 am - Seattle, WA
I had a lot of anxiety in the days and weeks leading up to surgery.  The funny thing was - they completely evaporated on the day of my surgery.  From the time I arrived at the hospital until they conked me out in the operating room - I was cool as a cucumber, and happy as a clam.  I was coherent enough to look at the clock before they knocked me out, then look at it again when they woke me up (nearly 5 hours later) and to find it not frightening at all - just really interesting. It was weird. In my case - the staff helped a great deal by being friendly, supportive, and great about explaining everything that was happening.  Much to my surprise, the entire experience turned out to be almost a pleasant one. Here's hoping you find the same. -Jeff

iwantlessofme
on 8/17/07 2:43 am
I can totally relate...  My surgery is scheduled for September 13th and I'm having second thoughts as well...  almost to the point of canceling.  I am even begining to question my commitment and whether or not I'm ready for this. Do you get over this or is this normal???
Most Active