Hair loss

rosieanna
on 7/28/07 7:37 am - spokane valley, WA
Here's another question... Have any of you noticed any amount of hair loss? I have read about it and that scares me to death. Just wondering if it is as bad as they say it is. Tracy

Tracy

morgansmommy
on 7/28/07 12:12 pm - Gig Harbor, WA
I think everyone will  have a different answer! I had thick hair to begin with and noticed some hair loss but nothing to complain about. I have a friend who has very this spots but she had thin hair to begin with so of course it is more noticeable. Besides taking your vitamins and Biotin I do not think you have much control over it and it is temporary! Good luck on your surgery, I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Mary, RNY, October 2004

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/30/07 8:09 am - WA
Ask your Dr. about how mush protein he wants you taking that will help too
Suzanne_G
on 7/30/07 8:15 am - Spokane Valley, WA
I noticed quite a bit..the start of my 3rd month.  (at the last meeting, they said most start losing it at 3 months..and continue until about 6 months postop..then it starts growing back.  I was really sick my 2nd month.  I threw up anything i ate that was protein. ANYTHING.   So probably why mine started.   Hard to keep vitamins in, if your throwing them up too.  LOL Oh well.  Im trying not to stress.  (i genetically have thinning hair as it is, so being bald is a tad scarey!) Suzanne  Ps.. Im in the valley too..  mullen/cataldo area. 
corinnaq
on 8/1/07 5:00 am - Woodinville, WA
Tracy, So here's my scoop.  Approximately 1/3 of people who have a major surgery (or pregnacy) will loose 1/2 of their hair starting three months after surgery.  There is NOTHING you can do to stop this from happening.  It has nothing to do with nutrition or protien or supplements.  I was one of the unlucky ones who did loose my hair and it sucked.  There were times when I thought I couldn't possibly still have hair on my head I was loosing so much.  But three months later I quit shedding so much and now I have normal growth and normal shedding again (I'm 9 months out).  I hated it but it's temporary and at least I was loosing pounds along with the hair.  Oh and the other silver lining...hardly ever had to shave my legs :-) Corinna Q
anyalee
on 8/12/07 2:00 pm
Whoa I didn't think about that.  Your leg hair fell out too??
girlwcurl
on 9/8/07 3:30 am - spokane, WA
i am in the begining of my third month and my hair is starting to fall out- i do what i am suposed to but as others say it does seem that it is something that is beyond my control- i am assured by all that it will grow back- then of course i went to visit my local tea shop the other day and met the owner who was 3 years out and wearing a wig- she has no hair at all- so i guess in some rare cases it is permanent
DeeDK62
on 9/14/07 9:44 am - Lacey, WA
Hair loss is caused by a myriad of things, not just rapid weight loss.  B12 deficiencies, thyroid problems, protein, etc. are each different for each individual.  It's helpful to share your experiences because something you say may trigger someone else to ask their own doctor to perform labs and have levels checked.  I'm 5 1/2 years out and still have hair loss that peaks and ebbs; remember, we lose 100 hairs a day naturally!!       As a nurse-in-training I also know just aging can be a 'cause'.  It can be genetic.  For those of you with glorious heads of hair, thank Grandma and grandpa :-).  If it causes you alarm, please tell your doctor.  It could be an unrelated-to-WLS condition.  
Most Active